Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding Monogram's EA-6A 1/48:

Are there any glaring errors like the ones found in the EA-6B (wings and pods)?

I've found some old ARC posts about the EA-6A having a different nose than the A-6. Does the 1/48 kit reflect this?

Are there 1/48 decal sheets of LOW-VIZ EA-6As out there?

Thank you,

GG

Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding Monogram's EA-6A 1/48:

Are there any glaring errors like the ones found in the EA-6B (wings and pods)?

I've found some old ARC posts about the EA-6A having a different nose than the A-6. Does the 1/48 kit reflect this?

Are there 1/48 decal sheets of LOW-VIZ EA-6As out there?

Thank you,

GG

I don't remember the EA-6A kit having as many issues as the EA-6B kit. Many of the Prowler kit's problems were due to the reuse of too many parts from the A-6E kit, like the wings. The EA-6A was much closer to the standard A-6, so it doesn't have the same issues. Also, IIRC, the pods in the kits were pretty good for the ALQ-76 system carried by the EA-6A, which created another problem when they were reused in the EA-6B, which used the similar, but not identical, ALQ-99 pods.

Yes, the EA-6A kit has a nose extension, and the kit does reflect this. The EA-6A kit has completely new and unique fuselage halves.

I think the kit has one low-viz option and I've heard of an aftermarket sheet (Superscale?) that has a low-viz option, but I never had that sheet so I can't comment for sure.

HTH.

I have the EA-6A kit and yes it has a different radome than the A-6E. Unlike the A-6E kit, the fuselage halves don't seem to fit very well especially in the radome area. One half seems slightly bigger than the other or it's just warped, at least in my copy. You'll also encounter just about the same problems in building all three kits that are available (EA-6A, EA-6B, A-6E) so no surprise there!

Until Hasegawa or Trumpeter makes a new-tool kit, I'll be content with the Revell offerings as they're the best ones made in plastic, IMO. I'd build my EA-6A but the very few decals available keep me from starting it, though I sure wish someone would do an early black-nosed Vietnam era A-6A Intruder in 1/48. Please?!?!!?

Yes the side where the Electronic Countermeasures Officer sits had removed the radar scope and the weapons controls and installed a couple of displays that would show signal strength on some thing similar to an ocsillascope. The pilot's side saw an modification of its VDI and later on recieved the same VDI display that the A-6E's were using and the ECMO's were using an improved signal strength display near the end of the aircraft's service life.

From the Instrument Panel display website

Pilot side late 70's upgrade

ECMO side late 70's upgrade

Pilot side after mid 80's upgrade

ECMO's side after mid 80's upgrade

Pilot's side initial issue

ECMO's side inital issue

Yes the side where the Electronic Countermeasures Officer sits had removed the radar scope and the weapons controls and installed a couple of displays that would show signal strength on some thing similar to an ocsillascope. The pilot's side saw an modification of its VDI and later on recieved the same VDI display that the A-6E's were using and the ECMO's were using an improved signal strength display near the end of the aircraft's service life.

From the Instrument Panel display website

Pilot side late 70's upgrade

ECMO side late 70's upgrade

Pilot side after mid 80's upgrade

ECMO's side after mid 80's upgrade

Pilot's side initial issue

ECMO's side inital issue

Very interesting links, thanks for sharing! ;)

Nice kit indeed , and as has been noted - its lot more accurate than the EA-6B, there is at least one aftermarket sheet for it , CAM 48-061 , nice markings -

I Might be persuaded to part with my copy , along with a BB A-6 set, and the CAM sheet- if anyone is intrested... :lol: