Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About PlasticWeapons

  • Rank
    1/48 scale modern jet builder.
  • Birthday February 1

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    S.F. Bay Area
  • Interests
    USN jets, 1950s to present day.

Recent Profile Visitors

13,046 profile views
  1. A-6E cockpit base colour

    Personally, I use a custom 1:1 mix of Model Master enamel dark gull gray and light gull gray. Tamiya XF-20 Medium Grey is another close match.
  2. Another New Line of Paints

    I purchased my set when shipping was free until December. They aren't cheap either. If you thought MRP was expensive, these go for roughly $15/bottle.
  3. Another New Line of Paints

    Since we're on the subject of new paint lines, I bought a few bottles of Archive-X enamel. It's a new brand that is attempting to bring back the old Floquil paint hues from the 1970s, supposedly the paint used to finish the original Star Wars studio models, and created for the Star Wars scale model geeks. Archive-X is a UK-based outfit and have a Facebook page, that's how I learned of this paint.
  4. AMK 1/48 Kfir New Tool

    Good to know. I guess I'll wait for the replacement parts.
  5. AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

    Yeah, the rough plastic is easily fixed by sanding and polishing. By the way, the rough texture exists on both fuselage halves in my AMK Kfir copy...
  6. AMK 1/48 Kfir New Tool

    Thanks for the clarification MoFo on the Mk.82s. The original ones from the first Kfir release are still included (the two-piece ones) so no loss there. One GBU and the Bullwinkle pod suffered bent fins but the pod is repairable with hot water. Now to find some Eduard resin replacement bits...
  7. AMK 1/48 Kfir New Tool

    The original Kfir release by AMK missed the "Coke bottle" or "pinched waist" of the aircraft. This release corrects that missing detail. Here are the other photos I posted in the Facebook group, I'll share them here. If you look closely (photo quality may have degraded from uploading), you might be able to see some scratches and surface imperfections picked up from the mold during injection process. Did AMK do final QC check/mold polishing of the metal mold at all? I see circular tool bit marks on the new-tooled parts, especially the GBU fins and the Mk.82 bomb bodies. In any case, the single piece weapons will need some clean up of the seam lines/plastic flash, so get ready to putty and sand. I'm a bit worried about the future AMK F-14D kit quality, even with all that extra detail being put into it, if the new-tooled Kfir parts are the latest AMK standard. I think I'll just wait for the Tamiya F-14B/D to be released. :)
  8. AMK 1/48 Kfir New Tool

    Ba na na!
  9. AMK 1/48 Kfir New Tool

    Ok, let me try this Imgur site to host pics: See if this works. It's a sideview photo of the Mk.82s. Fuselage, right half
  10. AMK 1/48 Kfir New Tool

    I'm still here too. Can't post pics here due to Photobucket and haven't bothered switching to another photo hosting site. If you have the re-tooled kit, check your fuselage halves and Mk.82s. My fuselage halves seem to have a rough texture all along the upper fuselage, like anti-slip, but probably from unpolished metal surfaces. As for the Mk.82s, the ones I have are all misshapen.
  11. Monogram/Revell Monogram F-14A

    Hello Juan. These additional photos should help you: What I did: Also:
  12. F-18 ATARS questions 1:48

    There are good photos of the antenna on page 166 of "The Modern Hornet Guide," by Jake Melampy. Hasegawa part M5 has the correct shape.
  13. F-18 ATARS questions 1:48

    Like I said, part M5 (AN/ALQ-126 mounted on drag brace door). Also included on Sprue M are the chaff/flare dispensers, GPS dome for the spine, IFF antennae, and new centerline pylon.
  14. F-18 ATARS questions 1:48

    Larry, That nose gear door antenna will be found only in later Hasegawa Hornet kits containing sprue M. It is part M5.
  15. Monogram/Revell Monogram F-14A

    Fuselage stiffeners were also removed. I added them back with sheet styrene as well as added the vertical tail stiffeners too. Also rescribed the exhaust shrouds.