I'm really confused now. I got the decals from phantom in the mail (thanks again!) form hasgawas A+ boxing. I though they were lo vis but they are actually hi vis with dark red lightning bolt and devil. I cant find any pics of aVF-74 jet with dark red tail markings, aside from this one from 1993 (big pic)The hasegawa A+ kit is dated 1991. What the? I cant find any pics before or in 91 of a red lightning bolt with the red devil. :worship: Confused as hell!

Edited by tomcatter727

Well, I don't know about the devil being in color, but I do know that even in the 80's when they first got their Tomcats the lightning bolt was usually in red. It's not a question of hi-vis or lo-vis, they just had lo-vis markings with red lightning, like the red sash in VF-41's lo-vis schemes.

Well, the second pic is only half-opened so far, but I can tell it's similar to what I usually envision at the mention of a VF-74 Tomcat. Although as often as not I see gray air wing letters, etc. I'll try to redo that one too....

EDIT: Here it is:

vf74land86.jpg

Man...these are huge....ugh!

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Got one other:

162919copyhp0.jpg

Believe me, I totally sympathize with you on this one. Last year, I was trying to do a -74 jet myself, and just about went crazy trying to find decals, then figure out the correct paint scheme (gull gray, lt. ghost gray, TPS?). Finally I just tabled the whole thing until I could get it all straight. And I think I have--at last!--so once I'm done my current project, I'll go back to it.

Best of luck with yours.

:thumbsup:

Daniel

wonder what the official scheme on her is...weathered and dark enough to wonder about TPS, but a glance at the engine nacelle area (on the first photo) makes me wonder about overall dark ghost, which has happened on occassion.

Looks like the entire front end was repainted shortly before the photo was taken, too....nice effect, actually.

muchos gracias! I'll go ahead and build that, got my new kit sittin here right now. I'll do the cockpit tonight. looks to me like dark ghost gray with gull gray pheonix missle pylons and patchwork in light ghost gray and medium gray. That sound right?

Good luck with your be-devilers build too! I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.

wonder what the official scheme on her is...weathered and dark enough to wonder about TPS, but a glance at the engine nacelle area (on the first photo) makes me wonder about overall dark ghost, which has happened on occassion.

Looks like the entire front end was repainted shortly before the photo was taken, too....nice effect, actually.

Hmm, good point. Didnt see you post for my last reply. Then I think I'll do overall weathered dark ghost gray with a fresh light ghost gray nose. :thumbsup:

Edited by tomcatter727