Calling Longbow Mech & Cobrahistorian

Hi Gents,

In your humble opinions, what would be the best way to paint the optics area and/or lenses on the TADS/PNVS? I see the lenses sometimes have different hues depending on lighting differences. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Alby

Alby,

Hmmm.... good question. On 246 I've used a piece of metallic confetti (red) and that worked pretty well. The "glass" (actually Germanium crystal) is pretty much blackish with a red/orange border of sealant, so even the kit part painted black on the back side could be used.

Oh, and we learned this week that if you lick the TADS window while it is in operation, it can give a fatal shock. :cheers: Why someone would try to lick the nose of an Apache is quite beyond my capacity...

First you can glue on the NSA shroud window. I recommend that you first mask off the windows and paint the NSA and DSA shrouds as normal. Then when all is done mask off and paint the NSA shroud as follows.

Paint the NSA (the right hand side with the larger lens) in a gloss black and then mist on Alclad chrome. The window is made out of Germanium crystal and is opaque to all visible light except 8-10 micron IR. It literally looks like chrome even when it breaks! You can do the same for the PNVS window. Glue it in place and blend in for a smooth appearence with the rest of the shroud.

As for the DSA (the left hand side) paint the inside flat black. Then I broke an old trashed CD and used the resulting shiny film to fashion a lens for the IR tracker (the upper most optic surface). I plan on using this same technique for the ALQ-144 IR jammer unit! I punched out a disk of the material and glued it to the surface. I then painted a small black dot to replicate the center detector assy. For the Narrow FOV lens ( lower large optical surface) I painted the outline a silver gray and the lens a gloss black with a spot of crystal clear added for depth after it dries. Same for the Wide FOV lens at the lower right hand corner. I then glued on the DSA shroud window with CA.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dr. Plastic
Oh, and we learned this week that if you lick the TADS window while it is in operation, it can give a fatal shock. :blink: Why someone would try to lick the nose of an Apache is quite beyond my capacity...

Jon,

You know somewhere, sometime, someone did just that. :huh:

Thanks for the tips bud. Sounds pretty easy as far as the larger lense is concerned. I was thinking of using a pearl powder-tinted coat of Future on the smaller lense to replicate the color shifting properties seen in some pics.

Cheers,

Alby

First you can glue on the NSA shroud window. I recommend that you first mask off the windows and paint the NSA and DSA shrouds as normal. Then when all is done mask off and paint the NSA shroud as follows.

Paint the NSA (the right hand side with the larger lens) in a gloss black and then mist on Alclad chrome. The window is made out of Germanium crystal and is opaque to all visible light except 8-10 micron IR. It literally looks like chrome even when it breaks! You can do the same for the PNVS window. Glue it in place and blend in for a smooth appearence with the rest of the shroud.

As for the DSA (the left hand side) paint the inside flat black. Then I broke an old trashed CD and used the resulting shiny film to fashion a lens for the IR tracker (the upper most optic surface). I plan on using this same technique for the ALQ-144 IR jammer unit! I punched out a disk of the material and glued it to the surface. I then painted a small black dot to replicate the center detector assy. For the Narrow FOV lens ( lower large optical surface) I painted the outline a silver gray and the lens a gloss black with a spot of crystal clear added for depth after it dries. Same for the Wide FOV lens at the lower right hand corner. I then glued on the DSA shroud window with CA.

Hope this helps.

Hi Scott,

That helps tremendously! BTW, do you have any pics of your TADS/PNVS painting techniques posted in your build photo album? I could use a visual of the overall result. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Alby

Hi Scott,

That helps tremendously! BTW, do you have any pics of your TADS/PNVS painting techniques posted in your build photo album? I could use a visual of the overall result. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Alby

No But I will try to get you one tonight!

Scott

Hey Alby looks like Dr. Plastic has got it down to a science of building the TADS. Jon is right about the voltage it is something crazy like put you on your butt voltage :blink: Try to find some close up photos of the TADS/PNVS so you can get a good idea on colors. There is many different ways but I am sure yours will look awesome. :huh:

Alby,

Hmmm.... good question. On 246 I've used a piece of metallic confetti (red) and that worked pretty well. The "glass" (actually Germanium crystal) is pretty much blackish with a red/orange border of sealant, so even the kit part painted black on the back side could be used.

Oh, and we learned this week that if you lick the TADS window while it is in operation, it can give a fatal shock. :blink: Why someone would try to lick the nose of an Apache is quite beyond my capacity...

Another interesting aspect of the Germanium crystal is the fact that it is a semiconductor and conducts electricity. Germanium was used by Bell labs in the development of the first semiconductor device, the transistor! 115 VAC at 400 Hz is run thru the window for anti-icing operations. Just touching it with a bare hand will give make your hair stand on end....among other things!

Edited by Dr. Plastic
meinthebackseat.jpg

How'd that get there?

Yeah, who is that guy, and what is he doing in that Apache? :thumbsup: If it wasn't for the fact that everyone on the web knows you as 'Cobrahistorian', I'd say 'Apacheflier' would be more appropriate given your occupation.

Nah, doesn't have the same ring....

Cheers,

Alby

They tell you that cause you Apache guys dont know how to read that is why your -10 is nothing but pictures :rofl::cheers::taunt: see you in a few weeks bud Erick

Alby,

Oh, and we learned this week that if you lick the TADS window while it is in operation, it can give a fatal shock. :cheers: Why someone would try to lick the nose of an Apache is quite beyond my capacity...

You know what that means don't you? Sometime in the past some idiot said "Triple dog dare? You're on!"