My VA-115 AD-4 Skyraider

For a while now I have very much enjoyed and have become quite inspired by the outstanding work created by the contributers to this forum. In this spirit I would like to submit for my first Group Build my AD-4 Skyraider.

In the markings of VA-115 aboard the the USS Phillipine Sea flying bombing strikes into Korea while operating in the Sea of Japan during the fall of 1950. This kit started off life as an old Monogram AD-6. Not a bad kit, even comes with some basic wingfold detail. So I decided to fold the wings and backdate this kit to a Korean era AD-4

AD_4build1.jpg

First thing I did was sand off the armor plating on the sides of the cockpit and on the belly beneth the cockpit

I removed the antenna farings and the beacon on top of the tail. The gun barrels were removed and I will only replace the inboard gun as the early AD-4s only had one gun per wing.

AD_4build2.jpg

The cockpit was next. I removed the rear portion of the kit part, the armor plate and the seat. These I replaced with a scratch built armor plate backing. I found a seat from my spares box more appropriate for a earlier Skyraider, before the Yankee extraction systems were instaled in these birds. Since I am planing on a pilot figure I do not need seatbelts.

AD_4build3.jpg

I am just finishing the decaling and I am debating on wether to finish it flat or glossy. My reference photos show a VA-115 bird during this time period with a dull finish. However I have another photo showing a VA-115 bird with a glossy finish. My thinking is that these planes started of life in a glossy finish,but after a few months at sea, engaged in daily aerial combat, The riggers of life aboard a carrier caused this finish to become dull. Although I like the look of the gloss, I am leaning to the flat finish for accuracy. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. More to come as time permits. Happy Modeling

• 2 weeks later...
More More!!!

My three year old son has a new Thomas the tank engine railroad set and I have become a bit obsessed.

Thanks for asking.

ad_4build7.jpg

I painted the pilot figure. Then later as I watched "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" I realized I forgot to paint the life peserver on.

ad_4build6.jpg

The wing folds need detailing. The finish needs to be dulled down a bit, and gun barrels in each wing are needed. I also like to display my finished models on some sort of small base. I hope to finish this one off with

a carrier deck, wheel chocks, and perhaps another figure.

ad_4build5.jpg

Thanks,

Mark

Mark when you get her the way you like please post completed pictures of your beauty in the completed build gallery. also if you are ever in central florida drop me a line and I'll show you around stallion51.

Roger that on the "completed build photos".

Thanks for the invite. Quite timley as well. There is an outside

chance I might be out that way within the next few months.

Thanks, Mark

Looks nice :thumbsup: but the Exhaust pipes are to hard, the must be softer. Used the Airbrush for Exhaust pipes and mix Revell 75 to 30% and Matt clear panit 70% with a lot of Tinner. Spray with 0,5 bar and the end finsih with a little bit Tamiya smoke and pastelchalk :cheers:

greetings Michael

Looks nice :cheers: but the Exhaust pipes are to hard, the must be softer. Used the Airbrush for Exhaust pipes and mix Revell 75 to 30% and Matt clear panit 70% with a lot of Tinner. Spray with 0,5 bar and the end finsih with a little bit Tamiya smoke and pastelchalk ;)

greetings Michael

Michael,

I agree with you, I am not thrilled with my exhaust staining on this one. Fact is my compressor stuffed it

and I was unable to use my airbrush. Unfortunately I decided to experiment with a new tecnique. I am

hoping, now that I have my airbrush on line again, to go over it to soften it a bit with a mixture very similar

to the one you suggested.

Thanks for your comments, keep 'em coming.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well here it is, my first completed Group Build model on ARC. I finally finished it. :nanner:

I found this old Monogram kit quite a treat to build. It is fairly basic but I think it makes up into

decent model. I've wanted a Korean War era Skyraider in my display case for sometime now,

and I am pleased with the results.

AD_4_1.jpg

AD_4_2.jpg

AD_4_3.jpg

AD_4_4.jpg

AD_4_5.jpg

AD_4_6.jpg

This has been a very positive experience and look forward to many more.

My F9F-5 Panther is next.

Thanks for looking, Mark

Fantastic work Mark :thumbsup: Good to see some dio's I think it gives a great sense of scale to these birds.

Just out of interest would the wings be folded with a full bomb load? thinking out loud sorry and I'm sure someone will prove me wrong. :cheers:

:huh:

Doc

Just out of interest would the wings be folded with a full bomb load? thinking out loud sorry and I'm sure someone will prove me wrong. :cheers:

:thumbsup:

Doc

Thanks Guys, for the kind words.

Hey Doc here is a pic for you. I do'nt have enough time to search my references for a better example.

But you can clearly see a loaded Skyraider with it wings folded behind the bird being readied for launch.

skyraider_bombload.jpg

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated

Mark