start.jpg

Ok, finally stopped to take a couple of photos.

side.jpg

rear.jpg

cockpit.jpg

This kit just falls together. The True Details cockpit fits ok. Next time I will thin the kit and the update sidewalls more. Used as is, the instrument panel doesn't fit well. Live & learn.

I've shot some Mr Color RLM 76 to check gaps. There are a few dings on the underside needing attention.

I had painted the red/white spiral on the spinner. Thought it looked pretty good until I noticed the spiral was in the wrond direction. Gotta pay better attention to detail.

This wil be all for a few days. Will be away on a small trip.

Chuck - as you say, the metal barrels are really nice and a good addition to the nicely shaped gondolas. I will buy this boxing even if I'm not going to use the gondolas for a G-6. This gives the option of putting them on a G-2 or G-4.

Touvdal - the price here in Japan is not too high, this kit lists at 2600 yen, a little over 17 Euro. The shop I got this at sold it at 2200 yen, a little under 15 Euro. Hasegawa's 109 is a bit all over the place in pricing from 1200 to 2000 yen, that is if you can find any as they have been discontinued. I haven't seen any Italeri 109s here, but wouldn't buy one if available. Hobbyboss has several versions available at around 900 yen, but these are very simplified and appear to have some shape problems. But, I understand the price in the States is very high and expect the same is true in Europe.

Shapewise, the Fine Molds is really, really good, although some reviews say the fuselage is too short. I believe their spinner is the best injected 109 spinner in any scale. FM has really paid attention to the differences in the differing 109 types making necessary changes for each boxing. In the various boxes, you will find 3 different wheels, 3 different tail wheels, 3 different props, different wings for differing types (although you may still have to carve the proper wheel well), and changes to the fuselage to accomodate changed panels.

If there is a weakness to the kit, I would say it is the decal sheets. Each kit has at a minimum 2 sheets. One is national insignia & stenciling. The second is the markings for the individual plane. Some kits have a third sheet for the overall topside camouflage. It is the second sheet that is the problem in that the decals are somewhat translucent requiring doubling up the markings to prevent bleed-though of the camouflage. Otherwise, the decals are nice - good whites, in register, and they respond well to solvents. Fortunately, there are lots of 109 aftermarket sheets out there.

This will be the 4th FM 109 kit I've built since they came out. I will be building many more.

John

Ok, returned yesterday and was only able to do a little more work.

Here are the gun tubs with the brass barrels:

tubs.jpg

I hope to be able to sit down to the bench for some dedicated building in the next couple of days.

Looks great so far John. Those barrels for the MG 151 are nice aren't they?

I've got the Eduard pre-painted PE set that I'm going to use on mine. I usually use a home made copy of the True Details pit but it's always tough to fit the sides in.

Agree on the translucency. I just finished the F-2 as "Yellow 9", Chuck was kind enough to provide me with another sheet to double up the markings otherwise I would have some serious bleed through.

Looks great so far John. Those barrels for the MG 151 are nice aren't they?

I've got the Eduard pre-painted PE set that I'm going to use on mine. I usually use a home made copy of the True Details pit but it's always tough to fit the sides in.

Agree on the translucency. I just finished the F-2 as "Yellow 9", Chuck was kind enough to provide me with another sheet to double up the markings otherwise I would have some serious bleed through.

I finished "Yellow 9" about a week ago. Did you use the decal mottles or go the airbrush route? Nice scheme; shame about the translucency. Unfortunately, I had the same problem with "<o" in their F-4 kit. I tried using the camouflage decals on that one, but found them too fiddly. I'll not go that route again. Looks ok, though. Not a contest winner, but then I don't do contests.

I'll have to check out the Eduard sets. I still have a dozen or so of the True Details that I picked up years ago at about a buck a throw, so I still have a few to use up.

Thanks for the kind comments.

John,

I used the mottle decals and painted the wings and upper fuselage. I've got a new Peak C5 airbrush that probably would have done a nice job but I decided to go with decals mainly out of curiosity, they worked out pretty well.

Any idea if Eduard still make their Zoom sets of PE? About all I want are seat belts, seems a waste to buy PE sheets that have a complete cockpit only to use the lap belts and shoulder harnesses. Once upon a time Eduard had what they called Zoom sets that were not much more then belts and the instrument panel. Much more practical to my thinking.

My FineMolds 109s are started, I have painted the cockpits and applied some Mike Grant instrument decals, just trying to decide what to do for belts before I finish the interiors and glue the fuselages together.

My FineMolds 109s are started, I have painted the cockpits and applied some Mike Grant instrument decals, just trying to decide what to do for belts before I finish the interiors and glue the fuselages together.

I think they still make Zoom sets. Why not try making the belts from paper. I've had good luck using brown paper bags coated with superglue and cut to size. You could try the same with a heavier grade paper and fine wire for buckles. Just a thought.

John,

I used the mottle decals and painted the wings and upper fuselage. I've got a new Peak C5 airbrush that probably would have done a nice job but I decided to go with decals mainly out of curiosity, they worked out pretty well.

Understand that curiousity motive. That's why I used the camo decals in the F-4. In my case I think it easier to paint.

Eduard does still make Zoom sets, but if you just want seatbelts, why not get their WWII German Fighter Seatbelts set? That way you have belts for several builds ready to go! I picked up their WWII German Bombers Seatbelts set for my 188.

Why not try making the belts from paper.

I have often made belts using tape painted the appropriate color. Never tried paper though. I did apply Tamiya's seat belt decals once, ugh. If the canopy will be closed, then tape belts seem fine to me, but if the canopy is going to be open, the extra detail in the PE belts seems a worthwhile investment.

Yup, Extratecha and Eduard both make seatbelt sets:

Thanks for the links, I had done a hurried search on Hannant's and not had much luck, what little I found didn't include pictures. May be time to put a Squadron order together.

Though I haven't tried it yet, Accurate Miniatures reccomends using their decal seat belts by cutting the decal, backing and all, from the sheet and using them like that, and not actually using them as a waterslide decal.

Ok, I've closed up the cockpit, masked the canopy, added the gondola, and started painting. Here she is with 76 and 75. I'll add 74 tomorrow, then start mottling. All paints used are Mr Color.

top.jpg

stbd.jpg

port.jpg

nose.jpg

tail.jpg

Thank you for the kind comments.

Just out of the paint booth. 74 and mottling done. Tomorrow the wing roots will be painted black. I think it is starting to look like a 109.

topcam.jpg

stbdcam.jpg

mottles.jpg

tailcam.jpg

Again, the paints used are from Mr. Color thinned with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. This stuff works really well.

Edited by johnsan

OK, some progress here. Mottling touched, wingroots painted, gloss coated, decaled, and oil washed. I've yet to add more oil stains aroung the cowl and underside, as well as exhaust.

Here's a few pics:

portdec.jpg

stbddec.jpg

undersidedec1.jpg

portdecclose.jpg

Decals are mostly from the kit - national insignia and stenciling - and from Aeromaster sheet Reich Defense Pt. IV Gustavs 72-072 - unit insignia, 7, and swastikas. The kit decals are much nicer than were Aeromasters. The kits were thinner and responded well to solvents. The Aeromaster decals were much thicker and very unresponsive to solvaset.

The hat insignia has incorrect colors as well. I retouched this decal with colors that seem to match better my interpretation of the B&W photo I have of this plane.

Coming along; it should be finished in the next couple of days.