There were three B-17s in the 8th AF known to have whitewall tires. They were: "Lil Bit" from the 303rd, "My Baby" from the 91st, and "Shilaylee" from the 100th BG. For years I've told myself I'm going to build all three but as yet none exist. I hope to have two completed by the end of this group build. "Shilaylee" is first because I need a 3rd Air Division bomber for an event later this year. Also, I have the decals. I'm using a 'visible' kit for "Shilaylee" but the fuselage will be painted. I've already sanded off the extended wind deflector from the clear part.

Concurrently with this build I hope to make progress on two other B-17 models. The 'Revell fuselage/Monogram everything else' project is the beginning of "My Baby". I had to modify the Revell wing root to take Monogram wings. I hope to foil this one. A donated, partially-started F kit is the basis for the D. The wings are already assembled and I might use them. It will appear in a freshly applied coat of OD and grey.

Fuselages.jpg

Wing work including leading edge openings boxed in and vents opened. The three circled hinge locations are not visible on the real aircraft so I'm filling them with multiple applications of liquid cement. I glued a strip inside the wing to support the aileron.

Modifiedwings.jpg

"Shilaylee" (from the 100th BG website)

Shilaylee.jpg

Dale J

Welcome to the GB.

Interseting. I'm a bit confused, the one at the top of the first pic. She's gonna be made into a G? Can I ask why you would use the F fuselage to make a G and not just use the G kit as a whole? The G kit is betere as a whole and no surgery needed for a G. Just curious.

Also, I've got a D model going now, let me know if you have any questions, I might be able to help, but I'm still learning the early model forts.

Interseting. I'm a bit confused, the one at the top of the first pic. She's gonna be made into a G? Can I ask why you would use the F fuselage to make a G and not just use the G kit as a whole? The G kit is betere as a whole and no surgery needed for a G. Just curious.

The waist area seemed, to me, a better candidate for rework with the smaller openings and no extended wind deflectors. Also, I just wanted to try some 'plastic surgery' and see how it turns out. The Monogram wings mate with the Revell fuselage better than Monogram to Monogram. I'll put a Monogram interior inside. Other than the necessary decals, the only aftermarket parts I'll use on the models will be resin mlg and props and cowls for the D.

Years ago I happened to stop at Slot & Wing hobby shop in Champaign, IL. I don't know if they still do it, but they used to sell opened and/or started model kits.

I walked out with 3 Gs, an F and a B-24J (all 1/48th) for $5.00 each. All that is in addition to a stash of retail price kits. I have a lot of stuff to experiment with.

Other than the necessary decals, the only aftermarket parts I'll use on the models will be resin mlg and props and cowls for the D.

What is this you speak of, aftermarket cowls for the D??? I have to know about these if they exist!

I admire your wanting to do surgery, I would just figure that the surgery would be better to put the F nose onto the G fuselage, ending up with a better F model, using the G kit as a base. That's just me though.

I admire your wanting to do surgery, I would just figure that the surgery would be better to put the F nose onto the G fuselage, ending up with a better F model, using the G kit as a base. That's just me though.

There are photos of late F series aircraft with the framed and enclosed waist windows, but the Revell waist openings would be a better starting point for an F, for me anyway. A bigger concern, for lack of a better explanation, is that I'd really like any configuration other than the 'Memphis Belle nose'. It's just about the most rarely seen F nose configuration that was used but after all these years still the only one we have. Replacement F noses almost happened - but unfortunately did not.

To put things into perspective, here's one of the many Airfix Gs I built a long, long time ago. At the time, I thought the Airfix kit was the zenith of B-17 models, what could possibly ever surpass it. So, for me, the Revell 1/48th F, just as it is, is pretty spectacular.

I know the wing staining is totally wrong, but I was a kid and pretty darn proud of it. It got me an 'A' as a History class project. I didn't get many... <_<

AirfixG.jpg

The F is my favorite, and I've always preffered it to the G. And like you, wanted differant set up then the belle kit offered. But I preffer the G kit as a whole over the revell F. Mainly because of the better detailing, and the fact that the F kit has very little detail.

The G kit's props, engines and alot of other parts are molded better, more clear and crisp. I'm not saying the F kit is garbage by any means, I'm just saying the G is a better base to start off. From now on, any time I want to build a 48th scale B-17F, I will be using the monogram G and doing surgery to change the nose to the F, then modify from there.

Overall though, I'm glad they both exist and especially that they fit so closely to one another like they do. So many of the parts are interchangable. The flat top turret can used on the G kit top turret parts to give a E/F turret with elevating guns for example.

I dont undestand what you mean about the waist windows though, how are the revell ones better, they're both the same size.

...I know the wing staining is totally wrong, but I was a kid and pretty darn proud of it. It got me an 'A' as a History class project. I didn't get many... :explode:

AirfixG.jpg

Geesh he built better 'uns then, than I do now

:explode:

Your current builds are certainly ambitious, but what the heck, your gonna' have fun.

Looking fwd to your future updates.

Elevators separated from horizontal stabilizers, openings filled with wedges cut from Evergreen sheet.

Stablizers.jpg

Kind of hard to see in the photo but the Revell elevator trailing edge is about half the thickness of Monogram. Monogram can be thinned of course but nice to see Revell look good OOB.

Elevators.jpg

Opening for elevator hinge is 1.5" or 1/32" in Monogram scale, much narrower than what's molded at hinge locations.

Elevatorhinge.jpg