Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'scratchbuild'.
Found 2 results
Here's one I made earlier........... During a computer cleanout, I 're-discovered' my photos of a scratchbuilt A-90 Ekranoplan that I made some 20 years ago..... so I thought I'd share the build with you.... Excuse the quality of the photos - they are now quite old - and not the best I have ever taken. The build was inspired by the release of the Revell 1/44 scale A-90 - plus some drawings I found in the Russian magazine 'Aerohobby'.... The drawings are excellent - and most importantly - they have cross-sections, so they were scaled up to 1/72, on printed out in A4 and the sheets taped together. The main fuselage section is essentially a rectangular box - with a curved roof (like a railway carriage) and a vee-shaped planing bottom... Here's the inverted 'floor' with plastic card bulkeads attached as per the drawing to form the vee...... Now the right way up, the rectangulay starboard side panel is attached.... .... together with the port panel and rear bulkhead...... The fuselage inverted to show the planing vee... The centre keel of the rear fuselage is added and shaped bulkheads are attached on either side. The curved roof bulkheads are fitted to a centre keel to form the outline shape....... The planing bottom and flat rear side panels are attached........... The fin is made from a plastic card outline shape - with balsa wood stuck to both sides and sanded to aerofoil section....... Checking the fin for fit - and 'planking in' the lower rear fuselage with strips of narrow plastic card........ The port side lower rear fuselage is planked in.... The fin has the rudder separated and is skinned with thin plastic card... More later.... Ken
Hi all, Long time since I last posted on ARC - but thought some might be interested in a project of mine that goes back a long way, but has just reached a bit of a tipping point with the fuselage halves together and heading for a full airframe. It's based on the old ID Models vac kit (now available from Tigger Models) - with a lot of scratch-building. Pretty well the only thing from the kit being used without major rebuilding are the fuselage halves. Anyway - getting there I think! Note - wings not fully seated at roots yet as I need to make openings for the flap area. Also nose is dry fitted, but needs a lot of work before fitting - as does the dorsal radar 'fin' which needs to be a lot thicker - so please be gentle with any observations at this stage! And to give scale, an Eduard 1:32 Bf109E: Before anyone shouts too loudly - yes, the dorsal 'sail' is too thin at the moment, and the nose and fuselage were it joins the horizontal stab need work. Have fun! Iain