Hornet Jet Intakes

Hi Everyone,

I am building a Hasegawa F/A-18C kit and was about to start working on the intakes. I don’t want to use FOD covers, as I personally just don’t like the look of them. I noticed Hasegawa provides the intake and some of the trunk (looks like only the part that is Light Ghost Gray). I was wondering how other people go about extending the intake trunks (the gloss white part) without using seamless suckers.

I searched on the forums and some people said flexible tubing. Also, I was thinking of scratching the fan faces, so I was just looking for ideas/materials to nicely extend the intakes. Any other tips and suggestions?Thanks in advance.

Dave

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Here's a few ideas (none of which are quick nor include the phrase finesse :D )

You could use a circle template to cut blanks from sheet plastic, stack them to form the trunk and then drill them out, file, fill, and sand to your pleasure ... I actually done that one, takes time.

If you can find some plastic tubing of desired diameter you could use it for most of the aft part of the trunk and use the method described first to make an adapter piece to fit between the tubing and the kit trunk beginning.

If the trunk needs some bending, fill some plastic tubing with sand, heat the tubing and you should be able to bend the tubing without deforming it, then dump the sand out and you have something to work with.

One other one I've not tried yet but plan to soon, is paper tubing, like a coin roll, filled with coins or sand, then wet the paper and see if it will bend to shape, dry, then soak with CA glue to set the shape.

Some of the more talented folks around here make intakes with sculpting materials, then vac form or RTV and resin cast the parts.

There's got to be an easier way to do this intake stuff but I've not found it yet ...

good luck,

Gary F

Anybody have some ideas or suggestions?

here's what i did. i took pics looking directly down both intakes, resized them and printed them. put clear tape over the image to seal it and glued it to the back of the intake. i call it the poor mans seamless sucker. here are the pics i used. feel free to copy them and use them your self. the end result is below them. it's hard to make out in the pic but you can see the engine fan in the intake.

IM000685.JPG

IM000699.JPG

F-18D_VMFA-533_32.JPG

Hey, thanks guys!

Those are some neat tips. I would have never thought of using photographs for the engine fans and trunks. What a great idea Creighton, I love the term “poor mans seamless suckersâ€. That’s great. I might try the tubing idea or will probably just use the pictures. I was a little disappointed when I saw the intakes just ended and you can see into the inside where the gear bay wells are molded in.

Speaking of intakes, for the Hasegawa pieces, where do you start painting the white? I wasn’t sure if the entire Hasegawa “intake piece†should be light ghost gray, and after that would be white. Or does some of the Hasegawa piece have to be painted white? If so, how do you guys mask it? I would assume it’s easier if the intake piece was all gray and then the part they didn’t include is white?

Thanks again.

:cheers:

Dude, I love the photo idea...might use it for my super hornet with its PITIFUL intakes. I, too, am generally not a fan of intake covers as I'd rather see the machine itself, but then, we all have different tastes. Creighton, ya got any SH intake shots? :D

i would say between a 1/4'' to 1/2 '' into the intake for the paint line. i usually just eyeball it. i usually paint the intake before attactching to the model. then i pack tissue into it to mask it, i also think silly putty would work well for this also. have not tried it yet though. paint the cammo color and remove the mask. after it is attached i remask it with more tissue. no need to pack it in as before just enough to hide the demarkation line to prevent over spray when painting the rest of the plane.

Dude, I love the photo idea...might use it for my super hornet with its PITIFUL intakes. I, too, am generally not a fan of intake covers as I'd rather see the machine itself, but then, we all have different tastes. Creighton, ya got any SH intake shots? :D

not yet. i hope to get over to Oceana for a photo shoot while i'm TAD here at Dam Neck. If i make it i'll keep that in mind and snap some for you.

Hey, some of us LOVE intake covers. Actually, I love it when other people love intake covers! :banana:

Ah, yes, but then, you're an exception! You do make marvelous covers for those who so prefer! If I ever do a dio where I need them, you'll be hearing from me for sure! :explode: