Jes,

If Dave doesn't post them first I'll do it later. There are two pictures that have the checker board cowls on the 190 painted a darker color, not white. Whether it's red or yellow may be open to debate, but's it definitely not white.

Mike

oh no, i have nothing against blue planes, just look at WWII USN planes! I was referring more to the opening of that rather large can of worms!

You mean a bigger can than the one that is already open?

:huh:

Edited by HistnScale
But if you read the artickel, the facts are based on photo evidence also color, and stament from several both pilot and groundcrew.

And have until this date not seen any photoes that can support the yellow or red hypoteses.

cheers

Jes

Take a look at the photo on J&P 4/03 p.26 that you posted. Weiss 1 (or 4 perhaps?) at the upper left hand of the page. Compare the script "Friedel" with the number 1 (or 4). Clearly they match and I believe them clearly to be white. Now compare the script "Friedel" with any of the lighter colored squares in the checkerboard. The color of the script, to my eye, matches none of the lighter panels. The lighter checkerboard squares appear noticeably darker, but not as dark as the color of the heart. The color of the heart can reasonably be concluded to be red. Could this not be an example of a yellow/black checkerboard?

I realize the caption says (if I can trust my poor German skills, which are better suited for ordering meals in restaurants) the lighter color is a darker shade of white, but even a dirty shade of white would not be consistently dirty to the same shade. It seems odd to me that a darker shade of white would be darker than the nearby 76 on the fuselage near the heart. The closest tonal match for these squares to anything in this photo would be to the skin tones of the men in the photo. Again for me, this points to a yellow color.

Interesting topic. Any conclusions on red under cowling panels?

In any case, Dave, yours is a stunning model.

Hello Dave, that checker nosed wurger looks really sharp!!! Accurate or not, i really like the yellow, but the red and black checkers with the yellow lower panel is one i would really like to do. Time to go look for some more decal sheets. :banana:

Don