Block 30 ANG Viper double-build

I think I'll put off my block 60 F-16F until I go back to Tucson in January and get more references. I don't have enough pictures right now to do a 1/32 model justice.

In the meantime, I'll be working on a pair of Vipers from the 181FW in Terre Haute, Indiana. The first will be an in-flight model of 85-1500 as it appears now, as a gift to the unit (and, in particular, the Wing Commander) for all the help they've given me over the years. Believe it or not, this will be the first 1/48 F-16 I've EVER built, so we'll see how it goes.

85-1500_181FW_JMelampy.jpg

I'll also be doing a 1/32 Tamiya Thunderbirds kit modified into an accurate early block 30. This will be from the unit's ONW deployment in March 2002, posed in flight will a full load of GBU-12s. I still need to figure out which particular jet I want to model. I haven't decided if I'll keep this one for myself, or give it to the Wing's Executive Officer/PAO.

This'll be fun!

181FW_ONW2003.jpg

181FW_ONW2003_2.jpg

I think I'll put off my block 60 F-16F until I go back to Tucson in January and get more references. I don't have enough pictures right now to do a 1/32 model justice.

In the meantime, I'll be working on a pair of Vipers from the 181FW in Terre Haute, Indiana. The first will be an in-flight model of 85-1500 as it appears now, as a gift to the unit (and, in particular, the Wing Commander) for all the help they've given me over the years. Believe it or not, this will be the first 1/48 F-16 I've EVER built, so we'll see how it goes.

85-1500_181FW_JMelampy.jpg

I'll also be doing a 1/32 Tamiya Thunderbirds kit modified into an accurate early block 30. This will be from the unit's ONW deployment in March 2002, posed in flight will a full load of GBU-12s. I still need to figure out which particular jet I want to model. I haven't decided if I'll keep this one for myself, or give it to the Wing's Executive Officer/PAO.

This'll be fun!

181FW_ONW2003.jpg

181FW_ONW2003_2.jpg

Jake,love the unit you are modeling! :blink:

Ya know,Doogie likes low-vis better :huh:

Looking forward to your builds!

Jake,love the unit you are modeling! :cheers:

Ya know,Doogie likes low-vis better :D

Looking forward to your builds!

Yeah, I thought you might appreciate that!

85-1500 didn't make it on the 2003 Incirlik deployment, did it? The Fox One sheet has Col. Peters' name on it, but I want to use Doogie's. I guess I can just do it from the 2002 deployment, and not put any names on it since they were probably removed prior to combat anyway, right? No GBU-31 during the 2002 deployment?

Yeah, I thought you might appreciate that!

85-1500 didn't make it on the 2003 Incirlik deployment, did it? The Fox One sheet has Col. Peters' name on it, but I want to use Doogie's. I guess I can just do it from the 2002 deployment, and not put any names on it since they were probably removed prior to combat anyway, right? No GBU-31 during the 2002 deployment?

The only time '500 carried the names on ONW was in 1999/2000(I think I got the deployment year right),after that deployment the names were were removed when we were on ONW duty the years afterward.2002 was when '500 got it's SAM kill as well.

Believe it or not, this will be the first 1/48 F-16 I've EVER built,

Jake,

YGBSM! I'll have to really watch, you're Scooby Doo looked so good I might pull my Tamiya kit out. Ill grab some popcorn and watch. I'm sure when the Tamiya 48th Viper kits come out next year you'll change ways and join the rest of us average Joes.

Jeff

Jake,

YGBSM!

No, it's true. When I was a kid, I built a few of the old Monogram/Revell kits, but I'd never gotten a Hase kit until recently. I'm also building one for a squadron commander out at Hill AFB, so these are my first two.
Jake -

are you gonna put LITENING II pods on those? if so, you'll be glad to know the 1/32 pod is heading your way, plus a 1/48 pod to hang on your first 1/48 jet.

David

Great news, David. Yes, both of these jets will need a LITENING pod. Looking forward to it!

Jake

I spent some time today tinkering with the weapons loadout. It'll be toting a load exactly as seen in the photos above.

358_5848.jpg

TER and GBU-12 swiped from the Academy Viper kit.

358_5850.jpg

Academy AN/ALE-50, again swiped from the Academy kit, mated with the Tamiya LAU-129 rail. Academy's ALE-50 is a bit too narrow, but it should work out just fine.

358_5849.jpg

My attempt at a PIDS pylon. It's been an exercise in sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding...... There's still much work to do, obviously.

358_5852.jpg

More soon.

Jake

• 3 weeks later...

Boy, those 1/48 Hase kits really go together in a hurry, don't they? Except for the intakes. What a pain in the arse.

Here's the 1/48 version of 85-1500. It is complete minus an AIM-9M, AMA pod, baggage pod, nav lights, and the engine exhaust. The SuperScale decals were predictable: not very good. Some were oversize, some were undersized, and even after I sent complete and total walkarounds for them to make the sheet, they still got some details wrong. The stencil markings came from a spare Afterburner Decals sheet (thanks again, Scott!) since the SS stencils are in the wrong shade of gray, and many of them are completely wrong for a modern jet.

This model is set to go to "Doogie", the Wing Commander at the 181FW on January 6.

358_5854.jpg

358_5855.jpg

358_5856.jpg

358_5857.jpg

The stand is a simple wooden plaque, with a wooden dowel supporting the jet. Dave, do you think we can scrounge around for some 181FW and 113FS full-color patches to dress up the base? All I have are the desert tan EFS patches.

358_5858.jpg

358_5859.jpg

Edited by jmel

And here's the 1/32 "Doogie", dressed in his desert tan flightsuit for a 2002 ONW sortie over northern Iraq. He still needs a bit of cleanup from his wash, as well as a kneepad. He took a bit of surgery to put him into a flying position, but nothing a razor saw and putty couldn't fix. :D

Painting figures certainly isn't my best skill.

Jake

358_5861.jpg

358_5862.jpg

Looks good Jake. :cheers:

Jake,I think a I have one of each patch left,I'll look thru by patch bag and see what I have.

When I finally get to my '500,I'll use a mixture of Fox One,SS,and Astra decals,same for my other Indiana Viper builds. :blink: I'm thinking of holding off on those until the new Tamiya kit(s) come out.

Jake,I think a I have one of each patch left,I'll look thru by patch bag and see what I have.

That would be great. I'd really appreciate it.

I should have the 1/32 pilot finished in the next day or two, as well as his cockpit.

Jake