162919 F-14A or a F-14B ??

Hi All ,

Maybe this is a stupid question , but I have to ask it .

I just finished reading that fantastic book of Erik Hildebrandt "Anytime Baby" and I noticed on page 119 a photo of a F-14 Serial plate , on which is scribed the Model designation and serial number : F-14A and 162919 , I am pretty sure that Tomcat 162919 is a newly build F-14B ( or was ) .

Can someone explain this to me?? Many thanks in advance .

Henk "Omar" van der Lugt

It was one of the first F-14Bs but what you have to remember is that the original designation for those aircraft was F-14A+, so thats probably why its listed as an A on the plate

It was one of the first F-14Bs but what you have to remember is that the original designation for those aircraft was F-14A+, so thats probably why its listed as an A on the plate

Fuji, they didn't have the "+" on the aircraft? I'm just realizing I don't know the answer to that one....

While we're at it, I'd love to know which nincompoop came up with the "A+" idea, anyway...to ME, "plus" would be, like, major internal electronics upgrade, but it just seems ridiculous for a totally different aircaft as the B is to the A....

Fuji, they didn't have the "+" on the aircraft? I'm just realizing I don't know the answer to that one....

While we're at it, I'd love to know which nincompoop came up with the "A+" idea, anyway...to ME, "plus" would be, like, major internal electronics upgrade, but it just seems ridiculous for a totally different aircaft as the B is to the A....

On the rear of the aircraft they did if I recall correctly, it would say F-14A (PLUS) then the BuNo. The reason for the A+ designation was there was already a B at Pax. I forgot what made it different from an A but there it is. Later that test aircraft was redesignated as it became the testbed for the D program then the Navy said well hell, lets just change the A +s to B. Screwed up, I know, but if you ask me that program was FUBAR-ed quite a bit. I still love the airplane but so many twists and changes its hard to keep up. The Navy also designated some older Hornets to A+ as they had avionics and all new engines if I recall right. The F-14A+ was only re-engined so it was a major upgrade in performance it wasn't considered a major change. Actually, with the 110s they finally got the engines they were designed for after 15 years of service. The PW engines were supposed to be a temporary fix and carried over from the F-111B project. Very unreliable engines they were. Ok, I can go on and on, but I gotta go meet Ken in Orlando. More later if you want.