Since we are talking Black Hawks...

Here are some Pics of my MH-60L I have been working on for about 3 weeks

The interior is scratchbuilt for the most part, FRIES bars,wiring etc. are from plastic and wire. I simulated the fabric soundproofing material with Cloth medical tape(FAT ROLLS), it worked like a champ!

I used Cobra's MH-60 interior set, but having the helo with the doors closed in flight config, I could have just done my own work! Oh well, I KNOW it's all in there! I still have lots to do...today I spent 4 hours detailing the IFR boom..and in the next few days I'll be working on finishing up adding interior details. If you look closely youll see a flight crew modified from the fine set in 1/35th from Nemrod. The finished model will have a Ranger Chawk in the back getting ready to fastrope..I'll have the ropes bundeled near the back doors and the rangers seated on the floor legs a dangelin'..I wish i could find a good pic of the ARMY's amo boxes for the M134's..I know 160th SOAR uses a lot of its own modified stuff but even a standard hawk (ARMY) with mini's and boxes would be helpful.. Hope ya enjoyed the pics,

Paul

MH-60LModel028.jpg

MH-60LModel027.jpg

MH-60LModel029.jpg

MH-60LModel007.jpg

MH-60LModel030.jpg

MH-60LModel024.jpg

MH-60LModel011.jpg

top of the page of this forum is this link

http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/aawpns.htm

Plus do a search for mini guns in the helo forums you will find just what the Dr. Ordered. With out Paying for it !!!!!

You also might want to get the book NIGHT STALKERS ISBN 0-7603-2141-8

If you can't get it let me know? Ten min. drive and I will have it!!!!

Here are some Pics of my MH-60L I have been working on for about 3 weeks

The interior is scratchbuilt for the most part, FRIES bars,wiring etc. are from plastic and wire. I simulated the fabric soundproofing material with Cloth medical tape(FAT ROLLS), it worked like a champ!

I used Cobra's MH-60 interior set, but having the helo with the doors closed in flight config, I could have just done my own work! Oh well, I KNOW it's all in there! I still have lots to do...today I spent 4 hours detailing the IFR boom..and in the next few days I'll be working on finishing up adding interior details. If you look closely youll see a flight crew modified from the fine set in 1/35th from Nemrod. The finished model will have a Ranger Chawk in the back getting ready to fastrope..I'll have the ropes bundeled near the back doors and the rangers seated on the floor legs a dangelin'..I wish i could find a good pic of the ARMY's amo boxes for the M134's..I know 160th SOAR uses a lot of its own modified stuff but even a standard hawk (ARMY) with mini's and boxes would be helpful.. Hope ya enjoyed the pics,

Paul

MH-60LModel028.jpg

MH-60LModel027.jpg

MH-60LModel029.jpg

MH-60LModel007.jpg

MH-60LModel030.jpg

MH-60LModel024.jpg

MH-60LModel011.jpg

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement! I'll keep posting as I get things done.

Paul

top of the page of this forum is this link

http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/aawpns.htm

Plus do a search for mini guns in the helo forums you will find just what the Dr. Ordered. With out Paying for it !!!!!

You also might want to get the book NIGHT STALKERS ISBN 0-7603-2141-8

If you can't get it let me know? Ten min. drive and I will have it!!!!

Thanks for the kind words! Helps keep a guy motivated! I do have "Nightstalkers" a GREAT book, unfortuntely they dont have but one pic from the back of a 60L DAP (not doing a DAP) and you can only see part of the amo box..not sure if its the 30mm box or a unit for both M134's..the weapons link has nice pics of M134s, however they dont show the amo boxes either LOL Grrrr I have downloaded everything I can find on the net and have a MH 60 File with 100 plus pics in it..and thats helped. Ill try the search in the forums.

Thanks again, and Ill post when I have something major done.

Paul

Paul,

Firstly, very nice work! Looking forward to following your build.

You mentioned having the doors closed in "flight config". Leave em open! Transporting troops, Hawks fly with doors open. It makes it safer and faster for the guys to get out. Also, just a heads up, the 160th is the only Army unit that flies with miniguns on their Hawks. All other Army Hawks have either M60D or M240D 7.62mm machine guns. I'm sure Erick Swanberg can tell ya oodles more than I can, since he's a Hawk guy (I fly guns).

Have you tried the DOD Media site? www.dodmedia.osd.mil Good reference photos are available there. They may have some of what you're looking for. Searching "UH-60" or "Blackhawk" turns up a lot of hits. I've got a few pics of 160th birds off of there.

HTH,

Jon

Paul,

Firstly, very nice work! Looking forward to following your build.

You mentioned having the doors closed in "flight config". Leave em open! Transporting troops, Hawks fly with doors open. It makes it safer and faster for the guys to get out. Also, just a heads up, the 160th is the only Army unit that flies with miniguns on their Hawks. All other Army Hawks have either M60D or M240D 7.62mm machine guns. I'm sure Erick Swanberg can tell ya oodles more than I can, since he's a Hawk guy (I fly guns).

Have you tried the DOD Media site? www.dodmedia.osd.mil Good reference photos are available there. They may have some of what you're looking for. Searching "UH-60" or "Blackhawk" turns up a lot of hits. I've got a few pics of 160th birds off of there.

HTH,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you as well for the kind words! The main Cabin Doors will be open for sure.. the pilots doors are closed as per the photos I've gotten from the web and other sources.. I know during peace time a lot of the pics I have of 160th's hawks flying around have the pilots doors removed..and I seriously thought about leaving mine off..but Im doing a hanging display of this 60Lima and a AH-6J present day Iraq..Then I'm going to start converting a 47E to an MH-47E (all 3 types the 160th flies) and unfortuantely apartment living doesnt bode well for such large aircraft to be displayed "down low" at this time, some day I'll build a cabinet for the 3 of them. Also have a the 35th Kangnam kit of the D Apache I'm re-working slowly... I better hurry up and finish this blackhawk before I get sidetracked LOL

Paul

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117
Hi Jon,

Thank you as well for the kind words! The main Cabin Doors will be open for sure.. the pilots doors are closed as per the photos I've gotten from the web and other sources.. I know during peace time a lot of the pics I have of 160th's hawks flying around have the pilots doors removed..and I seriously thought about leaving mine off..but Im doing a hanging display of this 60Lima and a AH-6J present day Iraq..Then I'm going to start converting a 47E to an MH-47E (all 3 types the 160th flies) and unfortuantely apartment living doesnt bode well for such large aircraft to be displayed "down low" at this time, some day I'll build a cabinet for the 3 of them. Also have a the 35th Kangnam kit of the D Apache I'm re-working slowly... I better hurry up and finish this blackhawk before I get sidetracked LOL

Paul

You are right about leaving the back doors open but, state side and over seas alot of the mh-60l's like you are building have their pilot doors off. Your choice, I would leave them off. Great work and I can not wait to see more from you!

Paul,

Ah, yeah, I misunderstood. I'm pretty sure they're flying with pilot doors off too. One of the guys I fly with flew with the 160th for a while in Iraq. He was a Little Bird guy, but I'll ask him about doors on vs doors off on the Hawks he saw. Another buddy of mine is currently flying Chinooks with them, so I'll see if I can get in contact with him too.

As for the Kangnam Apache, you're braver than most. That kit is the worst piece of crap I've ever attempted. I had an easier time converting the Revell 32nd scale A model to a Longbow. With the amount of reference materials out there, you'd think they'd have paid a little more attention to the accuracy of the kit.

Jon

Thanks for the kind words! Helps keep a guy motivated! I do have "Nightstalkers" a GREAT book, unfortuntely they dont have but one pic from the back of a 60L DAP (not doing a DAP) and you can only see part of the amo box..not sure if its the 30mm box or a unit for both M134's..the weapons link has nice pics of M134s, however they dont show the amo boxes either LOL Grrrr I have downloaded everything I can find on the net and have a MH 60 File with 100 plus pics in it..and thats helped. Ill try the search in the forums.

Thanks again, and Ill post when I have something major done.

Paul

Not sure if this helps but I made a set of 4400 round ammo drums based on data given to me from the manufacturer of the drums.

This picture of the ones I cast on my 1/35 HH-60G

HH-60G-LH-CABIN-1.jpg

And here are the raw castings (little fuzzy pictures)

drum-cast-2.jpg

Finally a comparison with the kit ammo box (never seen this one in pictures, possibly prototype only), Cobra Company (100 round possibly) box and my 4400 round mox for minigun.

correct-drum-2.jpg

I need to send this master to Cobra Company.......

http://dillonaero.com/

FINALLY I found what I was looking for and low and behold I wake up and find your reply! LOL

NICE PAVE LOW! Love to see more pics! I found the Dillion Aero website last night and am going to scratchbuild the same thing you have and just wing it since I cant seem to find any pics from inside a 160th helo, they cant be all that different.

You did a great job on the amo cans, you should sell me a pair! LOL

Paul

Hey Pual,

If you want I have a great MH-47G walkaround, it is full of interior and exterior pics. what scale would your 47e be in?

Hi Little Bird The 47 will be a conversion from the 1/35th kit, and I think Ill do the MH-47 D (AWC) all weather cockpit version. Im trying to not open any more kits right now.. have the 47 and the MH-6 kits under the bed...waiting...ok ok ...I opened them but I havent started anything ! LOL

Paul