Just a heads-up guys...

I placed an order with AVIATION WORLD for a corrected cowl for the Hasegawa 1/72 scale F6F and a couple of bang seats for the 1/72 scale F9F-2 Panther jet. This was very early in the year. I received an email telling me that the items I selected were out of stock and I'd have to wait a "few" months. That was 10 months ago. I emailed twice in two weeks to ask on the status of my order. No reply. Then I told them that if they didn't want to talk to me, then cancel my order. Again no reply.

I know that these guys are primarily books and DVD's with some model stuff. Hopefully they do better customer service with the reference material. As for model products, I won't try them again.

Randy

I have been waiting for ejection seats since May or June. When its in stock they are great. Actually this is the first time I ever had to wait more then a month for anything. (Toronto store)

Not quite ready to give a bad trader, as they have not recieved any money from me yet, just wish they would make the order happen.

They are a very busy place,and I wholly admit the customer service is very good since they got rid of the grumpy guy. Still one of my favorite stores.

Edited by phantom

I had an "experienece" of sorts with their Toronto store myself (their Vancouver store has pretty much nothing in the way of model kits).

I was looking for a couple of ICM 1/72 Bf.109E kits, found one on the shelf and when I went to pay, I asked if they had anymore in the back. I am guessing it was the store manager who popped up and said that they just received a big shipment and they were in a large box in the back. I said "great" can I get a couple? The reply was no, he was too busy right now to dig them out as the kits were piled in a big box amongst lots of other stuff... :blink: ok, obviously you do not need my money. Nothing like customer service...

I explained that I am from out of town (Winnipeg) and do not always have a chance to stop in there, well, I was welcome to mail order them (of course at this point I am thinking, why would I even do that...).

I paid for my purchase and as I am walking to the truck I check my bill as it seemed high, I was overcharged $2 on the kit that I did buy. Not that a $2 will break the bank, but none the less I turn around to get it corrected.

That turned into a big complicated mess and the store manager (same guy who couldn't be bothered to get me a couple more of the kits I was after) said be would "honor" the price tag on the kit and refund me the $2. Gee thanks... I also had to point out to him, it was not just the $2, but also the taxes I paid on that overcharge as well... B) (if he hadn't have "honored" the price tag, guess what, it's called a return...)

So at the end of this... well I haven't been back to Aviation World, nor am I ever likely to.

Hannants got my money for a few more ICM 109s. It ended up costing me about the same, so I was no further behind monetarily, but far further ahead in satisfaction and knowing I spent my money with a retailer who actually does care about customer satisfaction.

There in lies the difference between a retailer who cares about their customers and one who takes them for granted.

I was looking for a couple of ICM 1/72 Bf.109E kits, found one on the shelf and when I went to pay, I asked if they had anymore in the back. I am guessing it was the store manager who popped up and said that they just received a big shipment and they were in a large box in the back. I said "great" can I get a couple? The reply was no, he was too busy right now to dig them out as the kits were piled in a big box amongst lots of other stuff... ok, obviously you do not need my money. Nothing like customer service...

Theres nothing like good customer service, and yes this seems to be nothing like it, they say we should support hobby shops and not mail order, when you get service like this it makes you wonder!!!

Julien

Hey Guys,

Just so it's perfectly clear, I never actually paid for the resin cowl and ejection seats from Aviation World. They weren't going to charge my visa until the items were shipped. So I'm not out any money. My reason for posting was to let others know that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired and if you plan/hope/expect to purchase model related items from them, you may be in for some trouble. It looks like my experience is not isolated.

I will say this though, I've been to their Richmond, B.C. store and they have a ton of great reference material. It ain't cheap, but it's worth it. I just wouldn't try to mail-order anything from them again.

Thanks,

Randy

Sort of a positive and negative experience here...

Last month, I was looking for Larry Lilberry's book The Canadair Sabre and I found it on Aviation World's website. I called their number on a Wednesday morning to see if it was in stock. The conversation went something like this (abbreviated version):

AW: Hello, Aviation World.

Me: Hi. Do you have Milberry's Canadair Sabre book in stock?

AW: Yes.

Me: How long would it take to get it once I ordered it?

AW: We use Canada Post Expedited Delivery. You'll have it by Friday.

Me: Wow...that's fast. Okay. I'd like to order a copy.

AW: You can do that on our website, you know?

Me: I know. Seeing as I have you on the phone, can I order with you?

AW: (silence for a few seconds and you could almost hear the wheels turning...) Alright. Your name?

And it went from there. I almost sensed that I was inconveniencing them by placing an order via phone.

Not a great first impression but I did get the book on Friday as promised!