The primary roll of the wingman, particularly #4 in a finger 4 formation is to be cannon fodder for the the #1 and #3 shooters. A huge percentage of air to air losses in Viet Nam were when a Mig snuck up on the formation and nailed #4 while #1 and #3 were looking for targets, either air or ground versions.

Darwin

Not anymore...that's a horrible way to use your assets...

I agree 100%, but those were the tactics of the time as dictated by the 5 Sided Puzzle Palace on the Potomac and the #1 micro-manager across the river at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Way too many aircraft and good men were lost due to refusal to admit that the antiquated tactics should be changed to something better.

Darwin

I agree 100%, but those were the tactics of the time as dictated by the 5 Sided Puzzle Palace on the Potomac and the #1 micro-manager across the river at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Way too many aircraft and good men were lost due to refusal to admit that the antiquated tactics should be changed to something better.

Darwin

Indeed, I think history repeated itself in Viet Nam for us as it did in WWII for the Japanese who went up against the AVG (Flying Tigers). Chennault trained his pilots to dive from above Zeros with his less powerful P-40s, but at least he knew how to apply his tactics to his given situation. Viet Nam was just horrible.