WHAT PUTTY IS BEST?

• 1 month later...

USC Autobody Icing, 26006. A Bondo/polyester putty that sets smooth, easy to sand, doesn't shrink, VERY durable (stronger than the surrounding plastic, but sands easier), and depending on the amount of hardener you use, will set anywhere from 3 minutes to 24 hours, and you can buy more hardener if you need to, in a variety of colors to suit your tastes, including clear. I've found it to be FAR superior to standard Bondo. Get a lifetime supply of 24 oz for $18.00, compared with Tamiya Poylester Putty at $12.00 for a toothpaste tube and not enough hardener that doesn't set for forever.

For laquer-based spot putties, standard Tamiya Putty for a "hard" putty, Dr. Microtools for a "soft" putty, and Mr. Dissolved Putty, Mr. Surfacer 500, or 1000 for spot jobs.

Edited by Horrido

The two part Tamiya Epoxy is basically just like Milliput, but comes in a bubblegum like strip, the two parts joined along the center. Didn't strike me as anything particularly special, but someone else may think differently.

Sorry Horrido, I have to strongly disagree with you. Tamiya's Epoxy putty IS NOT at all the same thing as Milliput. There are differences.

First off, Milliput is compatible with water, Tamiya's is not (although Testor's liquid cement works nicely with it). Secondly, in my experience, once Milliput has hardened, it's a real b-tch to sand. Tamiya's is better in this respect.

I've used both and each seems to have a better use than the other, although, overall, I do prefer Tamiya's product.