WHAT PUTTY IS BEST?

Hey all.. I have been using MM Red Putty for about 3 years and am fairly satisified with the results but with the market always changing, is there anything else out there which you might suggest as better? :D

Hey Sky, believe it or not, I have been using an auto product for decades now, with no ill side effects to me or the kits. It's called " Spot Glazing Filler" I got mine at Auto Zone and it comes in a giant tube. It doesn't shrink and sands easily. Seems like it was in the $6 range, cheaper than buying the same amount in little tubes. Not the last word in puttys, but works for me. Happy modeling! monketdance4.gif

Gunze Sangyo Mr. Surfacer 500. Absolutely the best stuff out there, hands down. Couldn't build without it. I think I've used "traditional" putties all of once since switching to Gunze. For spanning larger gaps, I also use CA occasionally - depends on the situation.

MM Red putty IS the same as Bondo spot putty. RPM owns both Testors and Bondo. It's just a lot cheaper in an auto parts store. (Just like sanding sticks are cheaper in the Wal-mart cosmetics dept.)

Personally, I like using typing correction fluid. It's thin and flows easily into little seam lines. Overflow can be wiped off to minimize sanding.

Gap filling superglue is great for filling areas that need strength like wing roots, but I've found it can be difficult to work with since it becomes harder than the surrounding plastic in a few minutes.

I'd love to try Mr. Surfacer, but Gunze products are "Mr. Invisible" around here.

Put me there beside Justin. Tamiya putty, so far, has proven to be the best in the end. It's more difficult to use but you can get much better results.

Larry S.

Hi there:

I like Tamiya putty and Squadron White Putty. Never had any problems with either of them. They both sand easily, cover well, and dry reasonably fast, although not as fast as super glue of course. :D

Kind Regards,

Don ;)

I'm using Squadron green putty so far. Frankly, I've never liked using putty. Always a pain to get from the tube onto the model without making a mess. Then when I sand it, it ends up crumbling or cracking off. It's a necessary evil in my mind.

But is there such a thing as liquid filler that you can apply with a brush?

Always a pain to get from the tube onto the model without making a mess. Then when I sand it, it ends up crumbling or cracking off.

But is there such a thing as liquid filler that you can apply with a brush?

Mr. Surfacer 500. It's similar to white-out/typing correction fluid but easier to work with, has good tooth, sands and polishes beautifully, applies easily. The only downside is the shrinkage, so repeated application is key for heavier seams. (brush on, wait 5 - 10 minutes, daub on another layer and repeat)

I use CA glue extensively, usually with a drop of accelerator. It needs to be sanded/polished immediately but what I like about it is that it's totally non-porous and doesn't shrink. Once it's polished and painted it's indistinguishable from the surrounding plastic, something I've never been able to achieve with Squadron type fillers.

Tamiya, sometimes I apply the CA-glue mixed with the Tamiya-putty, so sometimes it is easier to remove excessmaterial when it comes from the inner side ofe the kit instead of applying the putty on the surface(similar to masking off the whole seam before applying putty). I prefer this method especially when building figures in larger scales (1:35 +). But it really depends on the job. CA will do in many cases, I have also used whiteglue several times, which can be wetsanded.

:o WOW,

I did not expect such a response. Thanks everyone... Now I am more confused as ever! :D

I really appreciate everyones response. I am going to try to adventure out with some new types! I have heard people talk about milliput but I am nat familar with it. Is it just like any other putty or is a epoxy mix type?

Thanks again.

Rod B)

I use Tamiya putty, it works pretty well, much better than the regular gray Testors or white/green Squadron putties, at least on my projects. But I might try Mr. Surfacer sometime and see how it is.

Justin

Justin,

Does Tamiya shrink much?

Rod

Rod: I use Tamiya myself and find shrinkage nominal,next to nil ,BUT,like anything else ,either it be wood filler,spackle etc. you wouldn t want to fill a 1/2" deep gap in one shot ( holy doodle,sounds like a kit from the far,far,far East)Check out Tool n Tips , for small shallow gaps,some masking tape on both sides,a little filler and some acetone ( nail polish remover) on a Q-tip to smooth out.I tried it and works very well,very little sanding afterwords.

Paul T ( Damn handy this forum,isn t it ) B)

I have heard people talk about milliput but I am nat familar with it. Is it just like any other putty or is a epoxy mix type?

It's a two-part epoxy mix. Particularly well suited to filling large gaps, since it doesn't shrink (actually, in my limited experience with milliput, it seems to expand?). You can smooth/shape it with a moistened finger to remove excess and blend it in, and it's quite hard when cured (both a blessing and a curse) - somewhere between CA and tube putties for hardness. Apparently the superfine white is the best stuff for modelling purposes.

An additional benefit is that the softer, brownish/yellow component of the regular milliput makes an excellent fake turd.

MOFO- You always know how to make a response interesting!

Well it's a bit of a long story, but it was a massive success. thumbsup.gif Always go for tools that can multi-task, that's what I say....

• 1 year later...
I use Tamiya putty, it works pretty well, much better than the regular gray Testors or white/green Squadron putties, at least on my projects. But I might try Mr. Surfacer sometime and see how it is.

Justin

You don't need Mr. Surfacer if you are using Tamiya Putty. Just thin the Tamiya Putty with Lacquer thinner until you get it to the consistency that you need; thick for an equivalent to Mr. Surfacer 500 and thinner for the equivalent to Mr. Surfacer 1000. You can brush it on and sand it within 30 minutes. Be sure to test the cup or container that you are mixing in for compatability with lacquer thinner. I use a metal artist's color well and only mix up as much putty as I need for the job. Clean up with lacquer thinner! :thumbsup: