Just what do I have here?

Recently I bought a Monogram 1/48 'F-18A' off ebay, as it was going pretty cheap. My intention was to build it as an F/A-18A+, probably in VFA-201 markings. It was a boxing I hadn't seen before, a black type of box that personally I've never seen used by Monogram, and with markings for one Finnish aircraft. I thought it slightly odd in that Finland operates C model Hornets, not A's, but what the hey, £3.99 is £3.99....

Anyway, got the kit today, and the parts breakdown is different to what I expected - the canopy is a single piece moulding, rather than split, and the tailplanes are moulded as part of the fuselage rather than as separate pieces. As such, I'm somewhat confused as to what kit I have here. It didn't come with any pylons, which disappointed me slightly as I wanted to do an armed aircraft, but I suppose I should've looked at the box art <_<

But anyway, I get the feeling what I have here is rebox revell/monograms earliest hornet kit which actually only represents the prototype airframe. Can anyone tell from the description and these sprue shots whether I have a prototype, an A model, or C model airframe?

hornet1.JPG

hornet2.JPG

hornet3.JPG

hornet4.JPG

hornet5.JPG

hornet6.JPG

hornet7.JPG

:)

<_< It seems to be the older FSD Hornet originally released by Revell in the Jurassic age. It has been reissued a pair of times as an early production bird.

U will require a lot of putty and sanding on this kit.

Regards from Peru.

Will,

Could it be that the Finland AF only uses it's F-18 in the A/A role, so no A/G weapons are in the kit ? I'm surprised to see a Finland-specific kit, but Italieri have done that sort of special boxing before.

I've no idea how old the kit is, or it's history.

You could try a Finland AF mini Group build.....

That F-18, an Airfix Hawk, and a RV Learjet...

Regards,

Gerard

That looks like Revell's tooling of the FA-18 from the early 80's, with updates from the original tooling to make an early production Hornet from their prototype kit. Why it is in a Monogram box I don't know, this kit should not be confused with the original Monogram FSD Hornet tooling which was updated into the "A-18" boxing and is the basis for the current Revell FA-18C kit with the appropriate updates.

Damn...was hoping this'd be the more recent kit. I assumed that since it came with Finnish markings it'd be the newer one, since Finland didn't buy Hornets until 1992! Maybe one to 'recycle' via ebay I think :lol:

Thanks anyway guys :doh:

Edited by Will2K65

Looking at the price tag.

The orange sticker in the left upper corner, it says the amount of guldens.

This is the old currency from the netherlands, so the kit is older then the year 2001.

It is bought at Blokker, witch is a househeld store with so now and then have plastic models on sale

I bought in the past also a F-18 from monogram, but when I opend the box the old revell toolings where inside.

This was a box from the mid 80's the only way to find out from the outside is to ook at the speedbrake.

The revell can not be opend.

Just what do you have here???

In my thoughts something you do not wanna buildt.

Try to sell it to your young brother or just let it rest at the attic and hope someday it wel be a collectors item.

regards Frank

Basically, what you have is Revell's first initial issue of the F-18. As far as I know, Monogram's first initial issue of the hornet kit we see today was one of the white and blue FSD birds.

The kit is a beast, but the fact you have it in a Monogram box is truly baffling. But, then again, when I was sationed in Korea, I remember seeing Revell A-6's in Hasegawa boxes, along with the T-37 and F-105.

***Correction, you have the Revell kit, but you have the Revell of Germany release which would explain the Monogram box.

Edited by VF-103guy

Will,

The only thing decent about that kit is the radome. The tip has a better profile than the monogram ones do. (I've done a LOT of sanding on mine to get them to look somewhat pointy!)

Keep an eye on the Buy and Sell forum. I've just gotten three of the Monogram kit off of there and paid almost nothing for each of them!

Jon

Thanks for the replies again folks...looks like I have something of a future shelf-sitter on my hands here.

Will try to get hold of another A or C model Hornet cheaply, though alas most of those popping up in the for sale forums here are from US based sellers who don't always like to ship abroad. A shame, since US prices for most models is significantly lower than those in the UK :(

Could it be that the Finland AF only uses it's F-18 in the A/A role, so no A/G weapons are in the kit ?

AFAIK, that's correct. Until now, their Hornets carried no air-to-ground weaponry. It'll change when the mid-life update programme is finished. That will, amongst other things, introduce a/g weaponry to Finnish Hornets.

I have never seen that box art in the states! Hmmm. The Monogram F18 has morphed so many times and has seen so many box art schemes its crazy. Who knows what molds that kit from. Hard to say. But have fun. :(