Hasegawa 1/48 A-4E/F

Hi,

I am working on a pair of the kit mentioned above, doing one A-4K and one A-4G. The kits are closed up and sanded in the few areas that were in need of that and I have added most of the small detail in preparation for the paint job. At the base of the fin´s trailing edge is a small strip of clear. This is needed for both kits aparently but I can´t find any good detail photos of it. I just have the old D&S book where the pictures are un-clear. However, I came up with nothing searching the net, which was a bit surprising. What is it and does somebody have a good picture of this detail?

Also, how are the navlights in the wing tips supposed to be painted? Is the entire clear part red or blue/green or is it clear with red or blue/green light bulbs?

TIA

Martin

The wingtip lights are clear on the forward three quarters and tinted the appropriate color on the rear one quarter. Here's a photo I took at AMARC and the clear portion has gone very cloudy from several years in the hot sun and the green has gone to nearly black but it gives you the idea:

21421396.jpg

As far as the clear strip on the tail goes, that's pretty much what it looks like with three big screws holding it in place if I remember correctly. These photos may help a bit. Unfortunately they're the only two I shot that show this feature. I hope they help somewhat:

21421437.jpg

21406561.jpg

Edited by David Walker

Hi David,

Thanks for the pictures! Great photos! They clear up the matter with the wing tip lights a lot more! There seems to be a bit of metal/plastic, in between the clear and blue/green on the light, that is painted in the camouflage color. Do you know if the clear part contains a light too? Is that a landing light then?

I cannot quite make out the look of the clear plastic on the fin. I wonder what it is for? Since it is clear, one would think it´s all about another pice of light.

Thanks

Martin

I have no idea what the clear strip was for. It almost ends up just looking like a spacer between the TACAN antenna and the IFF antenna. (the small rectangular antennas above and below the clear strip in the photos above) I did find one diagram that simply labels it "taillight". I suspect it's probably a tail position light.

The clear part of the wing tip lights is for the strobe I believe, though I can't remember for sure. The landing light is actually located in the starboard main gear door. You can see it in this photo:

21406491.jpg

Edited by David Walker

The clear strip is the tail postion light as David pointed out

The clear part does contain a light, from memory its a fluro type tube. Again from memory The red and green parts are lenses with a normal incandesent light bulb in there. (it's been 13 or so years since I last worked on A-4's so I'm ot 100% sure)

For Kiwi and Aussie A-4s inclduing some walkaround shots (theres some close ups of the wing formation lights), check out my web site here

The A-4 Alley

Edited by a4s4eva
The clear strip is the tail postion light....

Thanks for that. The lenses on the one out in the desert were so clouded it was hard to tell what they had originally been. And thanks for the link to your site. Lots of great stuff there.

Thank you very much for the link to your excellent site! And thanks you two for the info I needed. So, turning this info into modelling, will I just leave the clear strip clear then? No silver reflectors to paint in it?

And the clear parts on the wings, is there anything colored inside them? Or shall I just apint them silver?

I am actually doing one A-4G and one A-4K with hump and European I camouflage so the pictures on your site are of highest vaklue to me.

David, do you have detailed photos of the landing gears too? I am going to do the pipes around them later this week so any info is useful.

Best regards

Martin

if it was me....

For the wing formation lights I'd leave them clear, or clear with silver or white on the wing mating surface. Same for the tail light. The only thing in there is a fluro tune. You can see it some of the pics on my site.

Hasegawa%20A-4K%20003.jpg

Oh, Yeah I know there is a glaring error on the wing..... You'd think that working on them for 5 or so years I'd have noticed when I was building it. <_<

But in my defence It was about 4th model I'd built since I got back into it. :lol:

Edited by a4s4eva

If you need more pics of A-4 landing gears, have you checked ARC's walk-arounds, or maybe prime portal? I can't believe there wouldn't be a walk-around of the A-4 somewhere in there.

jb

EDIT- In fact, the ARC walk-arounds are fabulous, and have some great shots of the gear and the bays that will help you out.

Edited by Josh1971

Hi Josh,

I have checked ARC and Primeportal and you are right, there are photos of the gears. However, most photos tend to be focused on either the bays or the wheels. I would prefer clear photos of the gear legs from different angles. The lines are quite complex and rather than having to piece together from several photos.... :woot.gif:

But thanks anyway.

Martin

if it was me....

For the wing formation lights I'd leave them clear, or clear with silver or white on the wing mating surface. Same for the tail light. The only thing in there is a fluro tune. You can see it some of the pics on my site.

Hasegawa%20A-4K%20003.jpg

Oh, Yeah I know there is a glaring error on the wing..... You'd think that working on them for 5 or so years I'd have noticed when I was building it. :)

But in my defence It was about 4th model I'd built since I got back into it. :rofl:

But it does look very nice. :blink: