Boeing grey research

Hi Guys,

Did a comparison with some greys to see what would be close in a spray can.

My findings are attached thus:

grey01.jpg

The small area of paint is brushed on xtracolour Boeing Grey. The three contenders from top to bottom are:

1. Tamiya AS-2 Light Gray IJN

2. Light Gull Grey by Mr Color

3. Tamiya AS-26 Light Ghost grey

To me the nearest is Light Gull. The xtracolour grey has almost dissapeared.

Anyhow, these are my findings and I hope they are useful.

Cheers

Ironically, an earlier thread here with actual Boeing grey from a 737 showed Xtracolor's version to be quite off, with FS36495 being the closest match (which is my current preferred paint). 16515 Voodoo grey is close to 36495 (as it should be, by the numbers).

Then there's always Douglas grey, Lockheed grey, Airbus grey, and Fokker grey. :worship:

• 9 months later...

Sitting here comparing my BAC 707 Gray color chip to the FS fan deck, I would agree that FS36495 is very close. The problem is that while the color looks very close, 707 Gray is a gloss paint, and the FS chip is a flat finish. Applying a gloss coat over it may change the color some.

I don't use MM paint, but comparing the 707 card with the printed chips in the ever handy Modeler's Technical Guide, I would say that the Canadian Voodoo Gray is a pretty close match.

Regarding the gloss comment, while it leave the factory with a very nice gloss, before long it looks both flat and grungy.

Norm