1st Entry: 1/72 Toko Lagg-3 66 Series

OK, time to get off my arse and get going. The kit is Toko's 1/72 Lagg-3 66 Series. This is the first Eastern European kit that I've tackled so we'll see how much of an adventure we have.

The cockpit detail is pretty good, better than some main stream makers offerings in 1/72. After minimal research I decided to paint the interior MM Italian Blue Gray. It looked fairly close to what I've seen on some other people's models on the web so if it's wrong it's their fault. :cheers:

DSCN9832.jpg

I added some lead foil seat belts, the instrument panel is a decal, not great but better than nothing.

DSCN9834.jpg

DSCN9835.jpg

Fuselage fit was OK, but the upper engine cowling did not fit without trimming. Unfortunately I didn't notice that it was sitting higher than the area in front of the wind screen, I've built it up with some green putty to try to correct it.

DSCN9841.jpg

Fairly big gap in the leading edge will require some filler as well. The area where the wing root meets the fuselage does not look correct, square and blocky, which I'm assuming wouldn't be conducive to air flow. I'll have to do some contouring here.

DSCN9842.jpg

The area where the wing root meets the fuselage does not look correct, square and blocky, which I'm assuming wouldn't be conducive to air flow. I'll have to do some contouring here.

Ohhhhh, looks like these are intakes. Will drill them out, glad I looked at some other models before proceeding. :cheers:

Fairly big gap in the leading edge will require some filler as well.

Uaaau <_< This is the biggest gap I have ever seen. Would be there any intake too?? :D :cheers:

I didn't know Laggs-3 would appear on the batlefield in 1944. I guess the camouflage will be black - green on the uppersurfaces, won't it ?

Interior color looks good to me. What colors are you going to put on it?

CH

It will be in the AMT 7, 11, 12 scheme. Light and dark gray over blue. I bought some White Ensign paints especially for this project.

It will be in the AMT 7, 11, 12 scheme. Light and dark gray over blue. I bought some White Ensign paints especially for this project.

Hello

Have you already tested this paint?

I have bought the whole set and I am waiting for them.

I suppose they are not so differennt from Xtracolor I use.

Sincerely.

Patrick

I have the WEM paints too, and I really like them. The colors are a good match and they airbrush beautifully. They dont brush paint as well as the MM paints I usually use, but I brush only for small details most of the time anyways, so its no big deal.

Lokking at your pictures the fit ofthis kit does not look to good ??

to bad that that Ensign paint is not suitable for brush looking for some altenativ to humbrol, but non so far, Jay.

cheers

Jes

Lokking at your pictures the fit ofthis kit does not look to good ??

Jes,

The fit has been OK, not great but not awful either. Pretty much what I expected from an Eastern European kit. The fuselage fit was actually pretty good, the only real issues were the upper engine cowling and the wing leading edge. Most experienced modelers shouldn't have any real issues getting it together and for the price I'd say it's probably worth picking up if you're interested in a Lagg-3.

Got the parts you sent yesterday, thanks!!!! :thumbsup:

Jes, I would suggest getting a tin of the WEM paints and trying them for yourself. Not being a brush painter, I may have a different take on them than you would. For me, they seemed a bit thin for brushing, but that might be just the consistency you like, never know!

My LaGG 3 had the potential for a disasterous fit with the wings too, but carving out the upper wings so they cleared the gear bay gizmo solved that before it became a problem.

I was amused with the stick as well, when the pilot is seated, he (or she in the case of the VVS in the GPW) would have to reach up and out to grab the handle, and be careful not to hit himself in the chin when pulling back sharply :worship:

I was amused with the stick as well, when the pilot is seated, he (or she in the case of the VVS in the GPW) would have to reach up and out to grab the handle, and be careful not to hit himself in the chin when pulling back sharply

There was something about that stick that bothered me before you pointed that out, now I know! Have to chop it down to size.

The White Ensign paint was excellent to work with, really nice stuff. I haven't worked with enamels in a while so I had to remember (the hard way) that it stays tacky for a while. The dark gray has definite greenish tint to it that I didn't expect, I hope its accurate. :)

DSCN9847.jpg

DSCN9846.jpg

Disaster strikes.... :thumbsup:

Apparently White Ensign paint is not compatible with Krylon Acrylic Clear gloss coat. I've used the Krylon for several years on several different brands of paint (enamel and acrylic) and never had a problem.

As you can see it's ruined the whole underside, at least I didn't do the top first, so I won't have to redo the camo.

DSCN9850.jpg

When you posted this in the Tools n Tips section, comments indicated that priming may be solution. I think you hit on it here though, basic incompatibility. Since enamels are supposed to 'bite' into the plastic, enamel primers are usually what is recommended (if you use primer coats - I have never bothered with priming either ib years past when I used enamel paints or in the last few years when I have used acrylics).

Since you did prepare the bare plastic before spraying the WEM paint, and in your picture, the WEM blue color has lifted off the undersides, it looks as though the problem is the WEM paint in this situation. There is no evidence the WEM paint actually 'bit' the plastic. It looks what happens when you apply paint stripper to old paint you are trying to remove from a piece of furniture.

When you posted this in the Tools n Tips section, comments indicated that priming may be solution.

Chuck,

Yeah, I went ahead and shot it with Tamiya Silver Leaf as a primer. I've used it before with good results, it goes on nice and thin, hopefully it works out this time. I'll be using a "test mule" from now on though to avoid any unpleasant surprises. :D

Looking back in retrospect I may have not given the paint enough time to cure either. I shot the clear coat on about 6 hours after the paint went on, I'm going to give it a few days this time.

Edited by The Mikester
  • 4 weeks later...