I'm getting a little confused about old A-1 Skyraider kits... What are the existing ones?

I have an old Revell 1/48 kit with moving parts, I thought it was just like the Monogram one, but I read that the latter has raised panel lines. The one I've got have engraved lines.

So are there four different molds?

ESCI 1/48?

Revell 1/48?

Monogram 1/48

Tamiya 1/48

Thanks,

GG

Revell had a larger scale (1/40?) Skyraider back in the 60s. IIRC it had folding wings and perhaps that's what you have.

The Monogram 1/48 kit was after that and unrelated. It all gets confusing since the merger of Revell and Monogram, subsequent reboxings and now the end of the Monogram name.

I'm getting a little confused about old A-1 Skyraider kits... What are the existing ones?

I have an old Revell 1/48 kit with moving parts, I thought it was just like the Monogram one, but I read that the latter has raised panel lines. The one I've got have engraved lines.

So are there four different molds?

ESCI 1/48?

Revell 1/48?

Monogram 1/48

Tamiya 1/48

Thanks,

GG

Cannot forget the Matchbox A-1E (AD-5) Skyraider. The kit basically has toy like features but is the only option (injection molded) in 1/48 scale. Best bet is to Kit bash Tamiya & Matchbox if you want the wide body version.

Revell had a larger scale (1/40?) Skyraider back in the 60s. IIRC it had folding wings and perhaps that's what you have.

Yeah, indeed the kit looks a little bigger than it should have if it were 1/48.

Mystery solved, thanks!

GG

I have a Tamiya Sandy, I don't think that is even closely based on the Revell or Monogram offerings as it seams to be too clean and crisp. It looks way too new for that.

I had one of the Monogram ones a long time ago. I think it was from Tour of Duty, and it wasn't anything nearlyas nice as the Tamiya kit. I am sure they are not the same. I also think that the Tamiya molding is much much newer.

Were does the 1/48 Italeri kit fall in all of this? Is it a re-issue of the ESCI?

Yes i believe Italeri is the ESCI re-boxed, as Italeri has most of the molds from ESCI, i would say it was...

But don't hold me to that..