The 3 Tone Brown A-10

All

Can anyone recommend some good paint matches for the 3 colours in that awesome looking A-10 from the NATS

02.jpg

I have the colours as

Lt Sand FS 23617

Lt brn FS 30257

Dark Brn FS30118

Recommendation's for some good matches from Gunze or Model masters would be appreciated. I want to use these 3 colours in a what if project

Thanks

I'm a huge fan of Tamiya, but I'm sometimes not happy with the colors as they come out of the bottle. For this A-10, can you mix up your own custom colors? I'm doing just that for a Moroccan Mirage. It's time consuming but worth it.

I'm a huge fan of Tamiya, but I'm sometimes not happy with the colors as they come out of the bottle. For this A-10, can you mix up your own custom colors? I'm doing just that for a Moroccan Mirage. It's time consuming but worth it.

Hi Steve

Being the lazy b$%^ard I am I'd hoped this. But I've resigned myself to doing this now :-)

Hi Calum,

Having just finished creating yet more color chips in search of an elusive brownish-green color, here's some advice (for what it's worth).

Try to begin creating each color you need with a Tamiya color that appears to be relatively close out-of-the-bottle. Then, add one or more colors to change its hue and/or tone as necessary, making small, incremental changes with each color chip. Try not to create a color using any more than 3-4 colors. Keep track of how many parts of each color go into each test chip. And remember that adding white or black doesn't alway make a color lighter or darker.

Looking at the A-10 above, may I suggest two starting points? For the light tan, try XF-57. For the dark brown, XF-64. Both appear to be very close. For that orange-brown, you're on your own. I don't have anything in my small paint collection that's close, and the color samples I found online are way off.

Finally, familiarize yourself with color theory so that you can better control your mixes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory

Just keep in mind when you do that jet that it was painted that way in mid-80s. Waaaaaaaay before LASTE or the EGI dome was installed.

Jake

Considering I'm using this scheme on a Rafale I'm not sure I need to :coolio:

Also, Thanks to the GoodSgt. I agree those colours look OK, XF59 is close to the orange brown (needs to be a bit more orange though).

Considering I'm dong a what if these will probably do

Edited by a4s4eva