I was reading the back of the bottle of Alclad II Aluminum that I picked up and it says that you can use Future as a base coat before laying it down.

Has anyone around here tried that? The temptation of using so cheap a product to do this appeals my cheapness ;) , however I'd be sacrificing being able to use a colored primer to pick up errors in the build before the NMF goes on. On the other hand, the future would likely provide a great smooth finish for the alclad. Woe is me.

Any suggestions or experience with this method? ;)

Thanks guys,

I have used all the Alclads except for the chrome and highly polished alum. ,and always use auto primer(lacquer & enamel friendly) and as of late ,Alclads own primer.I really like thier primer(gray in color,and lacquer based) as it goes on smooth and covers very well.A light buffing and your ready to go. I don`t know WHY the acrylic base ,I really don`t. All you are doing is putting down a protective layer,so the lacquer does not craze the plastic.As far as I am concerned ,if the acrylic does not " bite " into the plastic,as a solvent based one will , then you still risk the Alclad finish from comming off if you do any kind of masking.The Alclad may bond to the acrylic,but if the acrylic does not bond to the plastic (as we have heard in this forum) then I see a lot of problems.

2 cents worth , keep the change :cheers:

Paul T

Hi!

I started with no primer at all: wonderful finish, but it is prone to come off after masking. Then I switched to Gunze primer and it bonded very well, but the fiish was not as smooth as I was used to, although I buffed the primer. Lately I use Alclad's proprietory primer and I second Paul, it really made my day. No tearing after masking and with only a little buffing everything is as smooth after the Alclad finish as with no primer at all. Great stuff, highly recommendable.

Martin