Future Prop Group Builds

I wouldn't mind another crach at the SCW GB, either! B)

Seems (just like Hollywood) we all want sequels!

I also like the recon idea, in theory, but I don't know if any specific craft would interest me enough to join it.

isnt there already a recon GB in the works? I thought I read that some time back. As much as I would like a SCW GB, I think it might be a better idea to do a broader GB as a between the wars GB 1919-1939 kind of thing. I would still probably build an SCW plane, but it opens it up to alot of other stuff too.

Yes, I just noticed a recon GB for (I think) second half of 2008.

Heh, I also did a Biplanes Between the Wars, so I know there are some interesting subjects there as well. I'd narow it down a little (fighters between the wars, bombers between the wars, some narrowing of the field)

P.S. for a walk down memory lane, SCW GB (2005):

http://nakatomitower.com/spanish/p1.html

and Biplanes Between the Wars (2004):

http://nakatomitower.com/groupbuild/

Hard to believe they were so long ago!

Jay has reiterated a point I tried to make back on page 1. A Ground Attack Group Build logically would have to include not just prop driven ground attack aircraft but also such planes as the A-10, A-4, A-6, Su-25, and even assault helicopters such as the AH-1, AH-64, and Mi-24.

Also back on page 1, Mike stated that since the WWII specific builds are already laid out through 2008 and into 2009, what we are really trying to do is decide on some possibilities for a non-WWII specific theme. To use Jay's terminology, we are looking for a Line 2 ideas, not Line 1.

A Ground Attack Group Build logically would have to include not just prop driven ground attack aircraft but also such planes as the A-10, A-4, A-6, Su-25, and even assault helicopters such as the AH-1, AH-64, and Mi-24.

I am still in disagreement on this one. It's as simple as defining it as a prop oriented GB and adjusting the eligibility criteria, i.e. "Prop Driven Ground Attack Aircraft". There have been plenty of GB's here that have not made allowances for WW2 era aircraft. If the majority of people want to include modern jet aircraft then so be it, but I don't see a lot of the members in the jet community going out of their way to make sure WW2 era prop driven aircraft are included in their GB's.

From my perspective, I'd rather be doing a GB with a group of people that are interested in all the subject matter of the GB rather than people who have the "oh jeez, not another Fw 190, that's the most overdone aircraft in the history of modeling" mentality.

Edited by The Mikester
I am still in disagreement on this one. It's as simple as defining it as a prop oriented GB and adjusting the eligibility criteria, i.e. "Prop Driven Ground Attack Aircraft". There have been plenty of GB's here that have not made allowances for WW2 era aircraft.
I suppose we will simply have to agree to disagree on this. I have not paid much attention to the more jet oriented group builds, but those I have seen have chosen topics that self select to jets - such as Final Cruise Tomcats, or Vipers. I have not noticed any that are worded in a way that would have included props if they hadn't gerrymandered the boundaries to limit it to only jets. The ones I have particpated in, (Heavies and Night Fighters) were structured to include all relevant aircraft. Truth be known, if I were to participate in a Ground Attack group build, my entries would most likey be props, but it could turn into a reason to finally dig the KP kit of the Su-25 that has been languishing in the stash for 15 or so years. Speaking of jets, has anyone else noticed the picture of the Turkish AF F-16 that participated in the recent Artic Tiger meet and had a snowball throwing tiger as the tail decoration?

I dunno - Ground Attack seems so ho-hum more of the same.

There are a lot of untapped areas to still to explore. How about something like Precursor Conflicts to WWII? It could include things like border conflicts of South America, Italian excursions in North Afica, border patrolling in the British Empire, US excursions into Central America, Sino-Japanese confrontation, Russo-Japanese confrontation, and so on.

Or maybe bush pilots? It doesn't have to be just military stuff. In the same vein, maybe a GB on flights of exploration featuring guys like Wiley Post, Amelia Earhart, and Lindbergh? Or early air transport? Hmmm, Golden Age stuff seems to be calling me.

Edited by johnsan

Mike, I agree that I would prefer a prop GB over one that included jets, but the inclusion of jets was not done by a decision here, it was done by the board moderators when I proposed the Heavies GB. Originally that GB was supposed to be prop only, but they mods said that it was too narrow and needed to include jets as well to be approved. That is where the inclusion of jets has come from. That being said, I am not big on ground attack either and would much rather see a different GB.

I really like the idea of a Between the Wars GB, but I dont know if narrowing it to just fighters or just bombers is maybe narrowing it too much. I would propose a Between the Wars GB that includes only military planes, that way you get your fighters and bombers, but narrow it down to exclude all the civilian stuff between the wars. Thoughts?

Between the Wars, Between the Wars, Between the Wars rah, rah, rah :D

Between the yellow-wing US aircraft and silver wing RAF aircraft, not to mention other air forces, there are plenty of just military subjects. However, unless there is an expectation to revisit that theme again, why restrict it to just military? Revell did one or two variations of post-WWI single engine Junkers, and not too long ago re-released Matchbox's He 70 to provide some other, non military subjects in mainstream injected form. In a more ambitious vein, while it would take me much longer then the usual six month group build to get it done, I have a Contrail HP-42 calling.