Attaching ordinance

Looking at all of the fine models submitted to this site, one thing always strikes me -- and then she tells me to get back to work. :wacko:

But seriously, how do you guys get all of the bombs, drop tanks, and etc. attached and STAY attached? I have the worst time with it, can't get them to stay on, knocking off another one while trying to put one on and all that. Do you use some sort of a jig? CA glue or not?

Fumble fingers,

Wally

I think it tells you how in the tools and tips up the top of the page and it tells you there how to do it.

EDIT: Hmmm now that I look I cant find it but im pretty sure it was there??? :wacko:

But any way, I remember it requires you to drill a small hole in the ordnance and a hole in the pylon and insert a bit of brass rod to hold them together with a little bit of glue.

CA holds well in my experience... and when there's more than one item going in close proximity, I give it enough time to set up (or a shot of accelerator), that way it doesn't get disturbed when I install the next one.

^ What he said. They aren't load bearing and they shouldn't take much handling, so just a couple of small dabs of CA will work fine. Enough that they'll stick, but too much will mean longer curing times and just a general mess. Glue it on, be patient, make sure it's set, then move on to the next item.

It also helps if you scrape the paint off of the areas to be glued (and ONLY the areas to be glued - you don't want bare plastic showing), as gluing paint to paint means you have weaker bonds on both sides of the join.

I drill two holes in the bombs and pylon and use needles and/or wire to glue them to the pylon. This way they stay almost forever, even if you hit them accidentally.

The brass wire trick works well and has the added advantage of letting you fine tune the attitude and orientation of the weapon on the rack. You can bend the wire slightly to get multiple bombs on a TER lined up for example.

:D I just recently completed the A-10 Warthog and A-6E Intruder. Both were loaded to the max with ordnance. CA worked terrific. Those bombs and missiles are REALLY affixed. Regular Testors modeling cement just doesn't cut it. The only rule with CA is...work fast, because you only have 15 seconds or less to play around. I also use the stuff on landing gear. HTH, Ivan. :wacko:

One of the finest looking ways........

of hanging hardware under your kits can be seen on the models of mr. Roger Jackson. Beautifull examples can be found on the gallery of www.modeling madnes.

Wish I had 10% of his skills :wacko:

Tryin' learnin' (Yes Master!)

Bram van Splunter

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Longview

I use Methylene Chloride in place of commercial model cement. It is used to weld acrylic slabs together for large scale jobs like aquariums and art work. It's also used for cleaning vacuum chambers and ante chambers on controlled atmosphere glove boxes. I ran into this stuff while building a vacuum chamber from 3/4 inch lucite. I called the company that sold us the lucite and they recommended it.

One application and my eyes lit up... You know the idea I had ? You guessed it !

I brought a half pint home with me to build models with. I use a hypodermic needle to apply it with and let me tell you, this stuff beats the devil out of anything available for plastic models.

If you can get your hands on some, I guarantee you will not have any more ordinance falling from your aircraft. I swear by this stuff !

Good Luck !