A new shop just opened up a couple of weeks ago called the Hobby Depot. They're located at 5628 SW 29th St. in the Barrington Village Shopping Center, which is on the North side of 29th, just West of the I-470 overpass on 29th on the Southwest side of town. Phone: 785-271-4451.

For the Northeast Kansas crew, drop in, introduce yourselves and tell them what you'd like to see.

Cool! I'll be in Topeka on Monday. Do you know their hours?

I think they're currently running about 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. M-F. Sundays may come in the future as one of the guys was talking about it today.

At the moment they don't have anything model wise, but are really focusing hard on finishing supplies (i.e. tools, glues, Evergreen styrene, K&S metal, X-acto, Woodland Scenics, etc. etc.) They're sending orders out daily and getting stuff in likewise. No paints yet, but that'll come pretty quickly. A kit selection will eventually trickle in as well... but if there's something you want, they're working special orders pretty hard, so let them know.

These guys are a lot more customer/service-oriented than the last shop (that just closed its doors last summer) and the locals are very excited about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey J.C.

I just got a chance to stop by the new hobby shop. I had a chat with the guy there and he said you helped him pick out the plastic. Do you recall, roughly, what he's going to order? Any 1/144th and 1/72nd stuff?

:cheers:

John

he said you helped him pick out the plastic. Do you recall, roughly, what he's going to order? Any 1/144th and 1/72nd stuff?

At the moment a little bit of everything... planes, armor, ships, cars, etc. in most scales, just to get them started out. I'm not sure what all they're going to be able to get in as it was just a generic order write-up. They're still getting set up with several different distributors and I'm not exactly sure how soon they're going to submit an order.

I don't believe I included any 1/144 stuff on the initial list, but is there anything in particular you're interested in? I'll let him know about it the next time I drop in.

• 3 weeks later...
The new Dragon 1/144th stuff, like the MH-60S, SH-60B, and Super Hornets.

Their first plastics order went out today, but won't know until it arrives what was in stock from the distributor. I'll keep you informed.

A plastics order has arrived with another to arrive soon... along with some paint racks starting to trickle in as well, so for anyone close by, you may want to stop in and check out the new arrivals.

Do you know what their hours are on Saturdays?

Hey John,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I've been away from the computer for a bit and just now saw this. As far as their normal hours, I think they're running about 10 to 5:30 Monday thru Saturday.

• 1 month later...

I went to Topeka to visit Combat Air Museum today and then went to visit this shop afterwards. This was a very nice shop, the nicest i've been to in Kansas. There was a nice selection of aircraft models and even some books also. He also has armor, cars , trains, coin collecting, diecast, and some other things going on. Prices were fair and the guy running the place was awesome. I wish this place was closer to home. If you're in Topeka stop by and check the place out. A+ place and its still growing.

• 5 months later...

I'm flying out to Kansas City tomorrow for a week long business trip. Is this shop still there and how are things looking as of late in terms of stock etc.?

Alternatively, are there any other shops in the area between say KC and Fort Riley? I'll be taking a drive out to visit a buddy at Fort Riley on this Sunday so any places I can hit along the way would be cool.