I was talking with Habu today about preping plastic for painting and I told him about something that I do and I realized that I haven't heard too many people say they do this. Instead of using dish soap to clean parts before assembly and painting I use Soft Scrub. Just the regular multi-purpose Soft Scrub Cleanser with water and an old soft tooth brush. It cleans and knocks the shine off the plastic and gives a good roughed up surface for the paint to bight into without removing any surface details. Does anyone else do this or something like it? Just wondering. . .

• 1 month later...

I would imagine that would work fine as long as it was rinsed well from the surface.

Personally I like Poly S Plastic Prep myself as it removes oils from the surface and cleans very well.

Ricardo,

Soft Scrub is a cleanser used for cleaning off countertops and sinks here in the U.S. It is called Soft Scrub because it has a milder abrasive than does other cleaners such as Comet cleanser.

Mike

I go the dishwashing detergent route, allowing the sprues to drain dry on paper towels. Then, once I get the main airframe assembled, I wipe down my model with 90% isopropyl alcohol. That really gets rid of all the oils, and sets up the surface for primer to really bite onto the bare plastic.

Pete ;)