??? about British SAR helicopters

Typically RAF search and rescue helicopters have been painted overall yellow. From what I understand 84 sqn in Cyprus operates the Bell 412 for search and rescue instead of the Sea King. The only RAF Bell 412's I've found pictures of are the black & yellow helicopters used by the defense helicopter flying school. Does anyone know if the helicopters the RAF uses in Cyprus are painted like the ones flown by the flying school or are they all yellow like the Sea Kings and the Wessex's they replaced?

Also wondering if anyone has heard anything about the RN and / or RAF replacing their SAR SeaKings anytime soon and if so what is being considered for replacement? Seems like everybody else has been retiring their Sea Kings recently so I got to wondering about the RN / RAF.

Thanks

I believe that they are Medium Sea Gray overall with flourescent yellow or orange chevrons on the bottom of the aircraft. I have an article somewhere. I'll go look for it and get back to you. It seems that it was in the silver book type magazine but the name escapes me. Anyway I will go look it up.

Also wondering if anyone has heard anything about the RN and / or RAF replacing their SAR SeaKings anytime soon and if so what is being considered for replacement? Seems like everybody else has been retiring their Sea Kings recently so I got to wondering about the RN / RAF.

Thanks

The EH-101 (Merlin)was designed as a replacement for the Seaking. At present I have not heard of plans to change the SAR birds but would suspect theat the Merlin was the Helo.

I have heard that SAR could be taken over in the UK by the Coastguard who already operate S-61 in this role. There was talk and even one drawing of the Merlin in this role.

As Portugal, Denmark & Canada now use the 101 for SAR I can see the UK going the same way.

There was some talk that the RAF didn't want the Merlin Mk3's and were trying to offload it on the SAR force (not sure how true this was)

Julien

The EH-101 (Merlin)was designed as a replacement for the Seaking. At present I have not heard of plans to change the SAR birds but would suspect theat the Merlin was the Helo.

I have heard that SAR could be taken over in the UK by the Coastguard who already operate S-61 in this role. There was talk and even one drawing of the Merlin in this role.

As Portugal, Denmark & Canada now use the 101 for SAR I can see the UK going the same way.

There was some talk that the RAF didn't want the Merlin Mk3's and were trying to offload it on the SAR force (not sure how true this was)

Julien

The UK Coastguard very recently took delivery of a couple of S-92's and a few AW-139's for the SAR role. I don't really foresee the Coast Guard totally taking over from the RAF/FAA in the SAR role, not enough aircraft and not enough budget, but as a Police Officer working on the South Coast of the UK we quite often work with the Coast Guard S-61's in relation to mispers and stuff like that. Fantastic pilots!

I kind of have a USCG thing going, and while I was ordering I sort of added in some Wessexs with the idea of maybe doing them in RN and RAF SAR colors, then added a couple of Whirlwinds and an S61, and... well that is how I got into the USCG builds so I figure I might as well start doing my research. :yahoo:

Thanks, I've found some decent pics of the RAF / RN Wessex, Whirlwind and S61's, also found a few HMCG S61 and S92 but wasn't having much luck on the RN 412 other than the defense flying school.

No.84 Sqn replaced it's Wessexes in Jan 2003 with the 412s.They operate from Akrotiri.

The 412s are painted in medium sea grey with orange chevrons on the bottom.

The squadron operates four Griffons.The squadron's scorpion insignia is painted on the cocpit doors.

ZJ704 carries "clubs" (in black) on the tail, while ZJ703 "spades", ZJ705 "hearts" and ZJ706 "diamonds".

The SAM issue of April 2006 has a short review on them.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck in your search.

D.C.

I kind of have a USCG thing going, and while I was ordering I sort of added in some Wessexs with the idea of maybe doing them in RN and RAF SAR colors, then added a couple of Whirlwinds and an S61, and... well that is how I got into the USCG builds so I figure I might as well start doing my research. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I've found some decent pics of the RAF / RN Wessex, Whirlwind and S61's, also found a few HMCG S61 and S92 but wasn't having much luck on the RN 412 other than the defense flying school.

There is a SAR thread in Research corner.

Julien