Hey all.....gotta question regarding the AH-1W Cobra.

What is the color of the cockpit? I am traditionally a jet guy, so I was going to guess dark gull grey....but I have some conflicting reports....I have heard flat black

So, which one is it?

Hey all.....gotta question regarding the AH-1W Cobra.

What is the color of the cockpit? I am traditionally a jet guy, so I was going to guess dark gull grey....but I have some conflicting reports....I have heard flat black

So, which one is it?

It depends on the version. All AH-1Gs and most AH-1Q/Mod S are dark gull grey. If you are into the AH-1P or AH-1E (ECAS), or AH-1F then it is Flat Black. This was for night vision goggles (NVGs).

If you are building Marine Cobras I'm not sure but I'm fairly positive that the AH-1J was dark gull grey too. The AH-1W is probably flat black

Sorry been drinking a lot today. LOL Wahoo! AH-1W flat black.

Floyd

So if I'm doing a AH-1S the cockpit would be dark gull grey? I just want to be sure I have that right.

If you are doing a flat plate canopy (AH-1F Fully Modernized, AH-1E ECAS, or AH-1P Production, all frequently called AH-1S) the cockpit should be flat black. If you are doing the round canopy (AH-1 Mod-S) then it should be dark gull gray.

Floyd

• 14 years later...
16 hours ago, jiayang said:

What about the AH-1J and AH-1T Sea Cobras, are these having dark gull grey cockpit?  Also for the Canopy frame interior, are they having Yellow frames for the escape windows like early AH-1G??

No idea if these cockpits ever got an NVG upgrade and were painted black but originally both would have been DGG.   I'm guessing on this but I would think they would also have the yellow outlines around the side windows as well. 

I think I am detecting some possible confusion here with regard to yellow canopy frames and the canopy removal system.  I will speak to the AH-1G since that is where the majority of my limited experience lies.  The inside frames of the hinged canopy / hatches on the AH-1G were painted yellow.

Ref: AH-1G Cobra Questions - FineScale Modeler - Essential magazine for scale model builders, model kit reviews, how-to scale modeling, and scale modeling products

This is intended to assist a disoriented aircrew member exit an aircraft during a; ‘significant emotional event (think crash).’  Prior to the advent of the ‘canopy removal system’ a breakout knife was available to each crewmember in order to break the canopy as necessary to facilitate escaping the aircraft.  This is the system that was used throughout the Vietnam war.

By the early mid-70s a canopy removal system was being retrofitted to AH-1Gs currently in the inventory.  This consisted of a linier charge that encircled the outer edge of the canopy and was initiated with a mechanical firing system available to each crewmember.  A black warning triangle, similar to an ejection seat warning triangle seen on high performance aircraft, was painted on the side of the cockpit of aircraft with this modification.  From the exterior of the aircraft this appears as weather striping sort of thing on the inside edges of the canopy.  It is about 1.5 – 2” (from memory) wide and a light grew-green color. Do not confuse the ‘proud’ yellow’ type stripe often associated with the canopies of aircraft such as the F-105 with the cobra’s canopy removal system.

Again, my primary experience is with Vietnam era curved canopy aircraft. If you are building a USMC or a flat canopy cobra thoroughly research your subject.  The one constant factor with these aircraft is change associated with various upgrades.

Hope this helps.