My new home away from home!

Hi!

I am new to this site and posted an introduction about myself last night. So far I have no tools, no glue, no paint, and no models. Today I hop to be going into town with my parents and see if we can stop at a hobby store. If we do, I want to find a WWI aircraft model. Could anyone here give me guidance on what model to buy? I am intrested in the Albatros D.11 and the aircraft from "Flyboys". I am not sure what scale is a good one to build in. What I do know is that I would like to build in a medium to a large sized scale. I would really appreciate any advice.

CC

Welcome to ARC! You've come to the right place for advice on Modelling.....that's why I visit the site. I'm not into WWI stuff, so someone else will have to help you on available kits. Try doing a search of the Forums for the Albatross and see if anything comes up.

CC,

I do not want to discourage you, but if you are absolutely new to scale modeling, WWI a/c is not the best place to start. :woot.gif: WWII tail-dragger are a good place to get your feet wet, and you are more likely to find that kind of kit at a hobby shop. If I were to give you advice on a WWI kit to start with, I would say that the Eduard 1/72nd "Flyboys Edition" of their Fokker Dr.I would be a good starting point. The kit has relatively few vices, and is inexpensive. Additionally, 1/72nd scale kits tend to be much less expensive generally, that way if you mess something up, you won't be out as much cash. :thumbsup: The Eduard Fokker F.I was my re-introduction to the hobby after a long absence, but I made things hard on myself by tackling photo-etch and resin in the same build as well. This resulted in a LOT of frustration and a couple of re-starts. :wacko:

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Dickinson/FokF1/index.html

Cetainly not the best build, but not a bad start back into the hobby. (BTW, not to take anything away from ARC, but I can heartily recommend the WWI Modeling List if you even think you want to build WWI model a/c. The folks there are extremely knowledgable, and if you have anything like a sick and twisted sense of humor, you will love your stay there.

http://www.wwi-models.org/ (main page)

http://www.wwi-models.org/mailman/listinfo/wwi (subscribe here)

There are a couple of areas that can be tricky that I found out about the hard way. I will be happy to talk you through this off-forum if you wish. B)

Warren

Edited by dixieflyer

I would think it's a little too delicate and too much rigging for a beginner. I built models as a kid and stopped about the age

you are. I started up again 2 years ago after a 30 year break and I've built about 22 kits. I am only just starting to think

about doing anything WWI.

As mentioned...we would never try to discourage you...especially since this is supposed to be a fun hobby. But I can guarantee

if you try something that old you're going to seriously challenge your definition of 'fun'. And that might just scare you off totally.

Look for something from WWII from Tamiya in 1:48...they have a bunch and they all pretty much fall together. Apparently there's

a rumour that if you leave the box lying around long enough, the kit will just build itself B) I think they even have a trop 109

that you mentioned you liked in the other thread.

I would suggest if you do want to do a WWI kit, the Revell 1/28th Fokker Triplane might be a good place to start. Its not the most detailed kit ever created (it first hit the shelves in the early 1960's I believe) but it is of a good size and has a low parts count and has very simple rigging. In the end, with just a little work, you can have a nice looking and decent sized model. Theres one from Friday in the "Whats New" area so you can see what can be made of it.

And hey, if you want flyboys markings, the red triplane with crossed swords would not be that hard to paint by hand.

I'd recommend an oldie but a goody for a first W.W. I project: the 1/72 Revell Fokker D.VII. There's no rigging to worry about and the engineering is so well done athat aligning and attaching the upper wing are a snap. Not only that, but you can get them for $5 or less, so if you mess it up, it's no great loss.

Bri2k