F-4 Phantom in Vietnam - Stencilling

Quick question... I'm currently working on an F-4C of the 12th TFW in Vietnam. The photos I have of similar aircraft seem to show little stancilling. Was this generally the case - i.e. was it the early F-4E's and the later 'G's that had the full stencilling applied?

Many thanks,

Chris

Quick question... I'm currently working on an F-4C of the 12th TFW in Vietnam. The photos I have of similar aircraft seem to show little stancilling. Was this generally the case - i.e. was it the early F-4E's and the later 'G's that had the full stencilling applied?

Many thanks,

Chris

Many (if not most) F-4Cs left the factory in Light Gull Gray over white with copious black stencils. The SEA camo was applied at depots, so very little stenciling (compared to factory applied) was added back. F-4Cs and D's that left the factory in SEA camo had full stencil data applied in white (black on the belly) over the camo colors.

J

Added to that for more confusion, when the aircraft got repainted from time to time, less and less stencils were often used. This cut down on maint. time, giving everyone only the most important information. Then again, sometimes, you could see a lot of markings. I might have been a slow day in the paint shop.

From my understanding from people who worked at the depots, it depended on the boss on duty that day. Some of them said "paint it" and some said "paint it exactly like the TO says". The former got minimal stencils, the latter got every single stinking one of them.

J

Aha... Looking in Patrick Martin's book "Tail Code", it seems that the XC/XN/XT-coded F-4Cs did not have much stencilling, so I guess that's the way I'll go... Hopefully nobody will be able to prove me wrong!

Many thanks for the help, all!

Chris

I'm no expert, but thinking in that area of Vietnam the aircraft is needed NOW, so only the most important stencils I would add, Cammo is the same thing and who does care about missing stencils when most of the people in the wing do not notice if its there or not. Crewchiefs will know about every place they have to visit before take off. And they probebly not read the stencils. Unless most important. :D

Many (if not most) F-4Cs left the factory in Light Gull Gray over white with copious black stencils. The SEA camo was applied at depots, so very little stenciling (compared to factory applied) was added back. F-4Cs and D's that left the factory in SEA camo had full stencil data applied in white (black on the belly) over the camo colors.

As best I recall from research many years ago, the Vietnam era warbirds went through full depot-level maintenance annually including repaint with most of the key stencils in black, a few being yellow. The USAF white/light grey stencils over the green camo (grey and tan retaining black stencils mostly) phenonemon occurred around the mid-1970s and was pretty much gone within 5 yrs, when the toning-down process began c.1980. Full depot-level repaints were done at about 4yr intervals by the mid-1980s, though could have been extensively touched-up/redone at bases at shorter intervals.

I believe the main thing was that a full paint job included the panel instructions, whereas as the quicker version just had the no-step, maintenance panel numbers (26L or 26R, or whatever), battery, earthing etc stuff sprayed on.

Putting them all on is an exercise in masochism, even in 1/32 scale! I did it 2-3 times in 1/48 scale years ago using Microscale sheets and went virtually blind!

Yes - I'm thinking that when the Vietnam a/c came BACK they probably got repainted and fully restencilled, whilst the ones in-theatre were pretty beaten up. I've taken the minimalist approach with this one, but I have a set of Isra stencil decals which I want to try out on a suitable subject!

Thanks all for your help!

Chris

From my understanding from people who worked at the depots, it depended on the boss on duty that day. Some of them said "paint it" and some said "paint it exactly like the TO says". The former got minimal stencils, the latter got every single stinking one of them.

That's not a very flattering assessment of DEPOT WORK. I can only speak for the USAF depots, but before any airframe left the depot, it received a final Quality Control Inspection, an OK by the Program Manager, an acceptance by the customer on-site rep, and sometimes a walk around by the depot commander. The paint job, as the most visible evidence of the depot's work, was always a high interest item - it was the final touch, and as such, was given the attention it deserved as concerns quality -- and standardization.

Gene K