Hi guys,

I would like to join the group build,well me and my daughter Izzy (aged 5). I am going to start with the 1/144 wild weasel intruder, basic one to begin with!! The Connie is the Heller MATS version, and the stealth the Revell one. All will be straight out the box as I dont want to spend too much money (these kits have been stashed in my loft for a while now) ! I say all straight out the box, the connie does have after market decals but they came with it when I got it off Ebay, bargain!! Izzy is building the Hobbyboss F-86,she likes to build with me and has probably finished more kits in the last few months than I have, I hope this is ok with everyone.

This will be my first build on ARC, in fact this is my first post, apologies if it all goes a little Pete Tong when I hit enter in a mo.

I have actually started the intruder tonight and will post some pics when I work out how!!

Cheers guys, I look forward to this as I have never participated in one of these before.

:cheers:

DSCF6275.jpg

ok, worked it out, these are the kits we are going to build

DSCF6277.jpg

and these are some pics of the work so far, The dragon kits have those horrible pilot and seat mouldings so I have used some seats I had spare (not bought for this build honest!), the rest of the cockpit has had a bit of detail added to it, not very accurate and the seats are not the right sort but hey, it's 1/144! I will add some more grab handles tommorow as some fell off as I was tring to paint the seats. Need to rest my eyes now, hope you like the a/c I plan to build (badly as you will probably find out!) and will keep updating as I go long.

DSCF6278.jpg

DSCF6280.jpg

DSCF6281.jpg

DSCF6288.jpg

Morning campers! Clocks moved back this morning so an extra in bed means im well chipper today!

My daughter is up and running now too, the HobbyBoss kits are perfect for new starters to our hobby, and are actually very good kits!

DSCF4508.jpg

DSCF4511.jpg

She is motoring along! Wants to do the HobbyBoss thunderjet next.

As for me, I have decided to do a wing fold on the intruder, so I have cut the wings along the fold lines, quite easy just a bit time consuming as now I will have to add the detail. I will probably regret this decision in a few days!

DSCF4550.jpg

Edited by mildenhall rules
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

well it's been a while but I am ready for an update. I was distracted from the build by a 1/48 panther and a concord , but I have finally done some work to the intruder. Izzy has also nearly finished her sabre! I dont think I will get the f-117 and connie done for this build unfortunatly, but hopefully I can do them for another one down the line somewhere.

Anyway, I have painted the intruder (badly) and stuck the wings back on in the folded position. I have also detailed the cockpit a little, added some new seats etc. I did two grab handles per seat originally but, after a visit to the excellent Pensacola museum late last year, I saw there should only be one large one so I had to re do the seats. Hmm what else, oh yeah, I cut out the pilots access ladder and made some steps out of plastic card. I now realise I should have put the wing decals on first but never mind, live and learn. I hope to finish the thing by next week, but in all reality it will probably be around 23:30 on the 31st of Jan.

Hope all your builds are going ok, keep you posted

(Izzy has a good excuse for not finishing tonight as she is in bed, hence the PJ's she is wearing in the update! We got rumbled doing some late night painting by my wife and she had to make a hasty exit to the bedroom!)017.jpg019.jpg028.jpg029.jpg

Interesting thread! I can't get over how patient you must be to coach your daughter in this hobby. She looks like she's having a blast - that's what counts.

The cockpit detail in 1:144 is really nice. Looking forward to more.

ALF

Finished the intruder, and before the deadline, hurrah's alround!

It was not to bad a build, took way longer than expected but I am quite pleased with the results.

Hope you all like it, I will post Izzy's sabre when she has finished. Not done any to it today, she said she had to go to school, excuses!

Just like to add these group builds are great, it actually gets me to finish the kits I start (eventually) and seeing all the other builds from like minded people is awesome. Thanks to you guys for hosting them, must take up a lot of your time but, I for one really appreciate it.

025-1.jpg019-1.jpg023.jpg

So Izzy has finished, with a few days to spare! She really enjoyed this, and so did I! She did all the painting, glueing and decalling herself. All I did for her was stick the legs on and mask the canopy and camoflage lines, oh and we found an old pilot in the spares box, he had to have a bit of cosmetic surgery to fit though!. The HobbyBoss easy kits are great way of getting youngsters into our hobby, so easy to build but still letting them paint and do the decals themselves (unlike Revell's easy kits). We are thinking of entering some other group builds together. Anyway, hope you like her sabre and we are loking forward to the next one. (oh, be warned its a tail sitter, we had to sqeeze some weight in the nose after we had finished)

004-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

011-2.jpg

Carefull!

013-1.jpg

Just putting on the Klear!

021-1.jpg

Finished, Hurrah!

020-1.jpg

Nice and quick build!

Looks like you're having a ton of fun, and your daughter too. Can't wait to start her on the hobby. Already she wants the little bits of plastic that Mommy has so much fun with, but her idea of fun is "how will this one taste", and I can't wait until she grows out of it.