MiG-23ML Syrian defector

I figured if I was going to participate in the IDF groupbuild, why not do something a little different? I don't typically build 1/72, but I had one of these MiGs on hand plus a Hi-Decal sheet that I won way back in '05 from the 1st Tomcat groupbuild featuring decals for a IDF MiG-23... I figure now is the time to get these off the shelf and on to the bench!

From everything I have read and researched, the Italeri/Zvezda kit is pretty much the best one currently on the market for an accurate ML/MLD. The cockpit is pretty basic, but since I'm doing it canopy-closed (to preserve the sleek lines of the aircraft) that's not an issue. The panel lines were raised and VERY faint on the outside of the aircraft. While I don't have an issue with raised panel lines, the fact that these were so faint meant that they'd likely be lost all together when the sanding started...

... so I rescribed the upper surfaces of the jet! I also have tried to add in detail on the nose where none was in the kit. It was a long and tedious project, and while it was my first time to rescribe (mistakes abound) I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Since this aircraft was captured and probably did not see any real combat (at least, not that I'm aware of), I'm happy to be building it without ordanance... however I will still be mounting the pylons (using Andrew the Jolly Roger's guy's build in the gallery as a reference for sprucing them up a little!). I also took a page out of Andrew's book and drilled out the vents on the bottom of the jet (at least, I assume thats what they are?).

Anyway, I have *most* of the main construction done, although I've yet to mount the forward fuselage to the rest of the body (have to mount the cockpit first)

IMG_9628.jpg

IMG_9629.jpg

The detail work on the nose needs some cleaning up, but I'm working on it

IMG_9633.jpg

That's it for now, any comments/input are welcome!

Looks like a good start Skull.

My Israeli friend tells me that this aircraft made quite a stir when it showed up. I'm very glad to see it represented as part of the GB. Good luck on the rest of the build, and thanks for the heads up about the weak panel lines. I was thinking of buying this kit. May go with Academy instead

Thanks for the comments, guys! I'll have a new pic or two up tonight.

Construction is basically finished (with the exception of the gears, of course). I was amazed to learn that the only place I needed putty was around the intakes, as everything else fit perfectly together!

One of the defining characteristics of a MiG-23ML vs. a MLD is that the LERX on the ML goes all the way to the intake. The LERX pieces in the kit are for the MLD, which represent the dogtooth LERX, so I had to fill in the gap with putty and shape it. I will be sanding those down before I take photos tonight. It's moving along nicely!

Ok, here's my first shot at building up the LERXes... after my first round of wet sanding, there's a little work to be done still to make them better, but for just using squadron putty, I was very surprised with the results I got. Once I get the LERXes knocked out, I'll finish sanding the underside of the intakes and then it's on to priming!

IMG_9645.jpg