Hi,

Well I think i'll throw my lot in with a C-17 (for a change). Will do it with some sort of load ,not sure what yet but it may have rotor blades. I will also try and do a 1/144 starlifter that I have been waiting for an excuse to build. Want to make sure I get in early as it takes me ages to build anything and I forgot to post before I finished on the airliner build and couldn't enter (teach me for not reading the rules first!).

Oh yeah, the C-17 will have the ED codes as I do have a penchant for those aircraft, the starlifter will probably be the white and grey version and if I get done early I may even do the c-5b I have in my pile (lizard camo).

Cheers guys.

Tim

Time for an up date. Not got to far yet, I spent ages painting the inside, trying to remember what it looks like on the inside from when I used to work on them, but mostly using the awesome walkround pictures I found on the tinternet. I detailed the loadmasters station, put in some control boxes on the side walls all the way down as these are the controls for the pallet locks, did some more random detail and.....once together you cant see a thing, b***er! Never mind I had fun (sick I know!).

I painted the wheels, couldn't really see if the legs should be grey or white, it looks like a combination of the two but again, you can't really see anything.

It is great kit a Revell should be congratulated for tooling it but, it seems overly complicated sometimes, however, since I only stick the things together and dont have the first idea of how to design a kit, I bow to their experience and guess they have had to find the right balance between good detail and ease of build.

I have found there is a slight gap on the bottom of the fuselage just behind the front wheel well, but I think this is more my ham fisted sticking than revell's fault, everything else fits really well (though the windows and lights in the tailplane are minute!). Hope all your builds are going well, enjoy!!013.jpg008.jpg006.jpg004.jpg

Looking good so far.

Interesting that they did not make the "fish bowl" window on the aft cockpit bulkhead clear.....great to see the C-17, especially since it is not in the USA yet. Keep the progress shots coming!

Time for a quck up date. I have stuck the 'outer shell' around 'the inner tube' which make up the fuselage,I have also stuck the wings, tailplane and widscreen area on. The fit in general is pretty good but I did find that the bottom portion of the fuselage which comes as another seperate piece, was a little short on one side at the front. It didn't seem to be because of fit or build problem as the rear part matched up perfectly around the base of the ramp, weird! Nothing a bit of filler couldnt sort, the wings went on ok, you have to be carefull as you can end up with a bit of a step, but pre warned is pre armed and as I knew this could be a problem area thanks to a fellow arcer who just completed his (teach you for building the ones you have only just got home dude!)), I could take steps to avoid it. If you are building yours with the ramp down, I have found it is best to leave the ramp 'arms' off so you can close up the ramp parts for spraying, they can be easily fitted later. The ramp sits perfectly on top of the arms too!

I have only used the barest amount of filler (except on the underneath floor part), really just for hiding joins before a quick sand.

Hope all your builds are going well!

Tim

(Have they C17s arrived in the US yet?)

001-2.jpg

I stuck the inside tube to one half of the fuselage first ,then stuck the other half on once it had dried,I have since removed the ramp arms to be re-fitted after painting.

002-2.jpg

please ignore the lego clones standing guard, my daughter Izzy is having a break from model airplanes, battling the dark side!

001.jpg

The part on the underside of the fuselage that has fit issues is on the right.

• 2 weeks later...

I take back what I said about sanding, after a coat of primer, the problems are highlighted! Not too bad really, just more sanding around the underside, along the major parts seams and although the cockpit and engines fit well, they still require a rub over to remove the join lines (nothing too out of the ordinary but I did get a step along the top of the canopy. My friend didn't have any major sanding to do on his, so it's probably just my dodgy building!

A few progress shots for you. I would have liked to have sprayed more but I have to spray outside and it wont stop snowing!

004-4.jpg

003-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

006-4.jpg

103.jpg

Finished!

All the sanding payed off in the end, well pleased with it. Revell did a great job with this kit all said and done. I used the extradecal sheet to get the ED decals and, they went on a treat. The revell decals just need to smell the water in order to come off their backing paper, be warned! It is also a tail sitter so, if you dont have the ramp down, add nose weight.

I was going to add a 144 huey, but i missed out on it on ebay, so at the moment its empty.

The fine detail Revell have achieved for under £20 is trully amazing. Loved this kit and will be getting another.

035-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

Looks better without the flash!

045.jpg

042.jpg

I added some detail inside, but in reality you can see very little, its very dark in there!!

052.jpg

Revell only tell you to cut the whell doors horizontally but, if you look at any pics of the plane you notice the aft doors tend to sit higher than the forward ones so, I cut then vertically as well. Strangely enough, Revell have added the cutting guides on the insides of the doors but, not mentioned it in the instructions.

048.jpg

The engines are very well detailed! Check the walkround refrences for a good painting guide for them.

046.jpg

Should have added it to the test and evaluation GB!

053.jpg

Better picture of wheel doors

054.jpg

058.jpg

Well, I hope you enjoy building yours as much as I did building mine.

Thanks

Tim

Nice to see one of these finished (mine turned up on Saturday :crying2:). You have done a great job as well, as I am working on my 1/72 Anigrand kit (which is needing a lot of work) I have noticed that the doors that open to allow the gear strut to extend out of the fuselage should be glued by the base not the top, is this easy to fix? Other wise a greta biuld

:rolleyes:

Doh :woo: ! Cheers mate, yes , it will be easy to fix. Dont know what I was thinking there. Will, re-do in the morning.

The Anigrand kit does look like a life project! Great build though dude. Do you have the C-141?

Thanks again

Tim

Cool!

I don't have the 1/72 C-141, The guy I was getting my Anigrand kits from here in Australia stop importing them, he was having a hard time communicating with them. I do have 2 of Scot Doepker's 1/144 scale kits though. I am happy with them.

Anyway I think I can find space for the C-17 but not a C-141 inthe same scale :D

:thumbsup:

Hi Tim,

Great build, I, like Ray, just got mine on Saturday. The only thing i can say is the silver rim of the engine cowling seems to be just a little to big. it should end where Revell has the the indented line around the nose cowl.

did you add nose weight and how much did you use?

:rolleyes:

Brendon