I have the 1/144 Cutting Edge NB-52A conversion, but what are the available 1/144 payloads for this thing once I finish? I found a toy 1/144 X-15 that looks pretty good. I don't recall Cutting Edge or anyone else doing a 1/144 X-15. I think Anigrand is planning to issue several lifting bodies in that scale. Anyway, just curious what's out there for this. Coulda gone in Jet Modeling but I figured the NASA guys hang out here. Thanks.

I have the 1/144 Cutting Edge NB-52A conversion, but what are the available 1/144 payloads for this thing once I finish? I found a toy 1/144 X-15 that looks pretty good. I don't recall Cutting Edge or anyone else doing a 1/144 X-15. I think Anigrand is planning to issue several lifting bodies in that scale. Anyway, just curious what's out there for this. Coulda gone in Jet Modeling but I figured the NASA guys hang out here. Thanks.

You have four main choices in 1/144

X-Planes (a defunct company bought out by Hobbico a few years ago) did a series of pre-painted 1/144 X-Planes. They looked nice for their size and scale. They did an X-15A-2 and an X-24A Lifting Body. Both were dropped by the NB-52. Occassionally I see them pop up on eBay for decent prices and I like them as they came on stands rather then having oversized toy wheels added. Cutting Edge did a Pegasus launcher specifically for the NB-52 as well (hard to find, but nice if you can find one. For something a bit more radical, you could also take the ejection crew cabin from a Minicraft B-1A kit, flip it upside down and drop it from an NB-52 as well since that is how they tested the parachute recovery of the design.

As for other NB-52 Payloads that to my knowledge have not been done in 1/144 scale yet, they include:

X-34 Crew Recovery Vehicle (shape mirrors X-24A lifting body)

X-24B

M2-F2 Lifting Body

M2-F3 Lifting Body (same plane as M2-F2, fins added for additional stability)

HL-10 Lifting Body

Early Space Shuttle testbed shape

Edited by Jay Chladek

Well, if you really intend to build the NB-52A #003 and not the NB-52B #008 then the only options you need for payloads would be the X-15, X-15A-2 or the M2-F2. The A was retired in 1969 so the later lifting bodies and other projects wouldn't have been carried by it. Hope that helps.

Tony