1-48 PBY Catalina wing assembly

Hi Ryan,

I have build two of these kits so far. I have never added anything to the wings to make them stronger.

As long you using a good modelling glue and let it sit to dry you shouldn't have any problems.

My build kits sit in the garge at home, so they get the cold from winter and the heat during summer and they haven't sagged

I too can agree with both of the above, for as memory serves when I last built a PBY-5A in 1/48th there was absolutely no need to add additional spars or supports to carry the wing atop the fuselage assembly. In fact, I do believe the fit was perfectly molded and machined to allow you to simply use your favorite glue and see realized a very good and strong fit.

Greg

Well I guess there is always one exception.......

I have a friend who built that kit and his wing had quite a curve in the centre section, especially noticeable along the trailing edge. So I thought I had better check mine. I too had the same problem so I ran a brass spar through it and it is as straight as an arrow and looks great.

However, there may have been a batch popped out of the mold too quick and hence the 'wave' and is probably an isolated problem.

Havent done anymore on the kit still, just wanted to see if I could fix the wobbly wing!

Just my 2c for what it is worth.

Cheers

Anthony

Brass spars sound to me a wise reinforcement solution but in order to maintain the wing volume through the years (most particularly for the central wing box) I injected PU foam through dedicated holes in the front part of the engine nacelles.

Picture of my model in rebuilding after its "dramatic" crash:

img1558.jpg

Good luck with your Cat Ryan.

V.P.

What PU foam did you use? Where did you buy it?

Regards,

José

A standard high density expanding PU foam spray for insulation with an home-made adapted application tube. You just have to take care for the pressure.

Where? In most of the do-it-yourself and building supplies shops of cold and temperate countries. :rolleyes:

img1569.jpg

V.P.

Absolutely fascinating idea! I am familiar with that product. I actually bought one can at Home Depot a few years back. If I recall correctly, there are different types. If I recall correctly, the main difference was it capability to expand and fill crevices of different diameter. I would imagine that we would not want to use one with a large expansive capability, as it could ruin the already matted wing halves, right?

Thanks!

Jose