RAAF F/A-18F Super Hornet "WIP"

Here is my 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18F Super Hornet.

When I found out that the RAAF was purchasing them, I went strait out and bought the Hasegawa Jolly Rogers kit.

With only limited information regarding the RAAF markings, I took what I did know, and decided to do a what if. In saying that, we do know that they will be in normal Navy two tone gray, and that they will be based at Amberley with 1 and 6 Sqn.

So I decided to do a CAG bird (Sqn Ldr) scheme, and gave it an extra tone of dark German Gray. I am still trying to decide on a cool tail marking for it. But think I will be sticking to the lightning strike in some way.

Anyway, here are a few pics for you to have a squizz at. And I am all ears to any suggestion of tail art you all may have!

P5110033.jpg

P5110037.jpg

P5110038.jpg

P5110040.jpg

Chris

Ok, here is an update of my RAAF Super Bug.

I was flicking through some F-111 tails and came up with this art for my F/A-18F..

All hand painted, but still need to give the pig his red eye...

P5130044.jpg

P5130047.jpg

P5130049.jpg

Chris

--Cool, I like the CAG style tail

-unfortunatly hasen't 6 sqn has disbanded ? - but I can't wait to see your SuperBug !

Edited by ixgr1

............seriously like the dark tail artwork ! ..........

-actualy makes an airforce Superbug look good !

--Cool, I like the CAG style tail

-unfortunatly hasen't 6 sqn has disbanded ? - but I can't wait to see your SuperBug !

6 Squadron are currently running the remaining F111Cs and RF-111Cs. I believe 1 Sqn are in the States doing conversion courses for the Superbug. I am led to believe that the tail lightning bolt will be dark grey and NOT black like on the F111s with the current style 1 Sqn logo on the bolt and grey roundels.

Chris' what-if?s are great and this one is no different. It'll be interesting to see all three in the same photo when this one is done.

Regards

Andrew :wacko:

Gee that looks good. i hope that they look that good when we get them!

i wish that they would differ from the million years old boring un-exciting grey though. but they never will.

Benny

6 Squadron are currently running the remaining F111Cs and RF-111Cs. I believe 1 Sqn are in the States doing conversion courses for the Superbug. I am led to believe that the tail lightning bolt will be dark grey and NOT black like on the F111s with the current style 1 Sqn logo on the bolt and grey roundels.

Chris' what-if?s are great and this one is no different. It'll be interesting to see all three in the same photo when this one is done.

Regards

Andrew :salute:

Andrew, appreciate the kind words mate..

I had also heard about the colours, but wanted to do this in a different scheme. But thank you for your input. Nice to know that someone else had heard the same thing..

I do however plan on building another at a later date..

Currently I am still building this one, and a 3 Sqn Legacy B..

Chris