1/48 F-86K fuselage conversion

Hello All,

I remember a thread here regarding a home-made resin F-86K fuselage in 1/48 (not from that Italian company). I think the thread stopped when the maker was thinking about making it a hollow cast instead of solid. I can't find the thread anymore. Do any of you know the status of this project? I am looking to buy this set for a Dutch AF F-86K.

Cheers,

Leon

I remember a thread here regarding a home-made resin F-86K fuselage in 1/48 (not from that Italian company). I think the thread stopped when the maker was thinking about making it a hollow cast instead of solid. I can't find the thread anymore. Do any of you know the status of this project?

That was Harold who had a prototype made up (I bought an early solid test from him). Here's the thread.

Gene K

I have the modified prototype completed. Paul Fisher was going to do the hollow castings for me, however......

I have been told by a little birdy that another kit maker is in the process of a full kit. The only thing is, the economy may have slowed or stopped the process.

I was going to do the 'pit as well. I have that about half finished. The seat is a buggar.....

Cheers,

Harold

I have the modified prototype completed. Paul Fisher was going to do the hollow castings for me, however......

I have been told by a little birdy that another kit maker is in the process of a full kit. The only thing is, the economy may have slowed or stopped the process.

I was going to do the 'pit as well. I have that about half finished. The seat is a buggar.....

Cheers,

Harold

Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully you will get to market your conversion, I would certainly buy one even if a complete kit from another manufacturer came around (but in theses times?). I already have two or three F-86D's as base kits, and these ARE gorgious and hard to beat. Please let me know if you have a spare -K fuselage you can sell to me.

Cheers,

Leon

Now speaking about the beautiful Italian Kits F-86K conversion set, it was reissued lately but is reported sold out again.

http://www.italiankits.it/italiankits.html#48aircraft

V.P.

Thanks VP,

This is the first time I see good photos of this set, and it also looks quite workable. Reading Harold´s reply I wonder if Revell after all is releasing a 1-48 F-86K. We all know they have the molding ready, a test shot was sold on Ebay about a year ago.

Cheers,

Leon

Edited by Leon
Thanks VP,

This is the first time I see good photos of this set, and it also looks quite workable. Reading Harold´s reply I wonder if Revell after all is releasing a 1-48 F-86K. We all know they have the molding ready, a test shot was sold on Ebay about a year ago.

Cheers,

Leon

I have it that it is an X eastern block maker, limited run. However, it would be nice if Revell came out with it.

I wonder who got the e-bay kit? I sent them a message to see how it looked in person, but never heard from them.

I really think the Italian set looks much much better then their old version.

It is interesting the they did the same thing with the fin as I did with mine. It was too hard to cast thin enough, I was getting short shots in all the attempts I did. So, I hacked off the fin and molded it in one piece. Oh well...

K.jpg

I may have Paul Fisher cast a few for my own use. I'll have to see how much that is going to cost me first. He'll only have to cast the fuselage halves, I can do the rest.

There is another person that has been working on the conversion for a long time as well. He is well known for great vac kits.

I was going to see if his came out better than mine, then produce the best one.

I will continue with the 'pit set anyway. It is different than the D tub.....

Cheers,

Harold

Edited by Harold
I have it that it is an X eastern block maker, limited run. However, it would be nice if Revell came out with it.

I wonder who got the e-bay kit? I sent them a message to see how it looked in person, but never heard from them.

I really think the Italian set looks much much better then their old version.

It is interesting the they did the same thing with the fin as I did with mine. It was too hard to cast thin enough, I was getting short shots in all the attempts I did. So, I hacked off the fin and molded it in one piece. Oh well...

K.jpg

I may have Paul Fisher cast a few for my own use. I'll have to see how much that is going to cost me first. He'll only have to cast the fuselage halves, I can do the rest.

There is another person that has been working on the conversion for a long time as well. He is well known for great vac kits.

I was going to see if his came out better than mine, then produce the best one.

I will continue with the 'pit set anyway. It is different than the D tub.....

Cheers,

Harold

Thanks Harold,

This must be the sexiest jet the Dutch AF ever operated.... If you get around to it, and remember me, please let me know the price for a set of castings from Paul. I also only need the fuselage halves and can do the rest myself. Although the cockpit also needs conversion, I would be happy with a -K externally, with a stock -D cockpit. Who will ever know except me :monkeydance:)

Cheers,

Leon

Now speaking about the beautiful Italian Kits F-86K conversion set, it was reissued lately but is reported sold out again.

What's in the box of this set reissue:

V.P.

Hi HomeBe,

thank you for your effort, looking at the set however two questions spring to my mind:

1) the instructions say that you can build an aircraft from the initial production batch (with small -D wings) though on the fuselage side there is a big scoop intake each side, which (if I'm not mistaken) identifies the ex-Armée de l'Air airframes lately acquired by the Italian Air Force: so if you want to make an early -K you have to remove these scoops and carve yourself the underlying intake.

2) the kit also provides additional parts to make a late -K in the form of wingtips extensions. Ok, but the late -K wings where identical to the F-40 ones so they should also have the 6-3 chord extension which you can get only with some additional surgery (not everyone's fun) or buying an Hasegawa JASDF boxing only for the wings.

Just my thoughts...

Bye

Fabio