Eduard 1/72 L-39 Albatros

I picked up an Eduard L-39 Albatros Third World Combo (two complete kits in the box) off the discount table at a lhs today, includes PE, masking, tons of stuff.

But I am confused at something. While checking out the instructions and the kit itself, I noticed that there is no option to open the landing gear doors, they are molded shut with only a hole to mount each of the struts.

I checked several websites, nothing with underside shots on the ground. And on the ARC gallery, the builds pictured all have the gear doors closed with the gear down....anyone following this? :banana:

So my question, oh ARC gods :worship: ...are the landing gear doors of an L-39 closed while aircraft is on the ground? Maybe they open up again when the aircraft takes off? Could be a manner of FOD control, maybe the kit manufacturers were lazy that morning....

Dazed And Confused,

Felinoid

Yes, it's accurate. There are spring-loaded doors which cover the openings when the landing gear is down. The "only" time you'll see an L-39 with open gear wells is when they've been manually opened, for maintainence or other purposes.

Yep, she's closed up tighter than a... um... drum. Just the tiny little doors that cover the hole for the strut are open when on the ground. Which is why I could never figure out why CMR did full wheel wells in resin for the 1/48 MPM kit...

J

The undercarriage doors are closed up on a lot of Soviet/Russian aircraft - as an anti-FOD measure.

They only open when the gear is cycling - and then close up again around the leg when the gear is down.

Check out such types as the Il-76, the main gear doors on a Tu-22M, the doors on the An-24/26/30/32 series, An-12 etc.

Ken