Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9

Aye up all!

I thought it about time I contributed here with a build. I've spent so much time leeching ideas off you lot, now I have a chance to show how inept I can be. The model of choice is the new mould Hasegawa Fw 190D-9. To go with this, I'm going to add the following:

Aires Fw190D full detail resin set #2031

Black Dog Focke Wulf Fw 190 D-9 resin Tail wheel with mechanism access door #A32002

Black Dog Focke-Wulf FW 190 A,D resin detail set (flaps, rudder and fuel fillers etc) #A32001

Eduard Fw190D Landing flaps #32101

MDC Fw 190D9 Wheel Set #CV32028

MDC MG-151 set with brass barrels

Master Model MG-131 brass barrels

Radu Brinzan Late Luftwaffe seatbelts #RB-P32006

PK Tinyland German service panel set

MDC German Duralumin Manufacturers Stamps #D32009

Mike Grant Decals Instruments & Placards set

HobbyDecal Fw-190 Stencils ver 1 #st32003v1

Montex Super Mask Set Fw-190D9 (Galland Circus) #K 32048

EagleCals Fw190 decal set

G-Factor brass Fw190A/D undercarriage

I'm using a mish mash of technique I've picked up and some techniques from the new FAQ book by JM Villaba....basically whatever fits the task. Also using Gunze paint for the first time too.

I warn you that I've never attempted anything like this before, but I'm confident with using resin and etch etc. which I've used in smaller projects. The finished model will be posed with all access ports open (well, most of them anyway), and engine cowls posed open. All weapon bays will be displayed open, as will the canopy.

Here's a few pics of some of the stuff I will be using:

fw0.jpg

fw3.jpg

fw2.jpg

mg131.jpg

I'm in for a long haul, right? :thumbsup: :lol:

Jim

Here's the work so far. The first thing that had to come off was the nose, so I chain drilled this and cleaned it up with a surgical kinfe. Edges were then sanded flat. For the most serious part of the kit destruction, it seemed to go pretty well. For posterity, I took some pics first.

fw5.jpg

fw6.jpg

fw7.jpg

fw8.jpg

The fuselage needed quite a lot of remedial work to make the resin and etch parts sit, but firstly, the kit is totally devoid of rivets, so this needed to be remedied. I fixed this with the help of Radus Rivet-R tool and some drawings depicting the rivet patterns. Seemed to work pretty well, and I rolled the riveter against the edge of Tamiya tape. It took a little getting used to...it's not perfect, but I'm happy with it at this stage.

I removed the service ports and hatches/doors where I wanted to depict them open and also thinned down the fuselage skin at this point to make it a little more realistic. As far as the main service hatch goes, this work looks quite brutal from inside, but with the installation of the etch metal fuselage formers and stringer, the remainder of the gouges are filled in with superglue gel.

fw12.jpg

The rear fuselage resin section is superbly cast, but misses as least 2 obvious items which I scratch built with the help of plasticard and rod, plus thin tine foil. These are the elevated bulkhead onto which is clipped the engine starter crank, and also the elevator control rods.

fw9.jpg

fw10.jpg

fw11.jpg

With these added and the other resin parts cleaned up, I primed and airbrushed this section in Alclad2 Airframe Aluminium. From there, a quick thin coat of Klear was added and then the MDC duralumin decals were added. A coat of MicroSet was added to the whole lot before another coat of Klear. With this dry, a highly thinned mist of Tamiya Earth acrylic was sprayed along the stringer and ribbing as well as the riveted panels. Tamiya Flat Aluminium was then added to highlight the fuselage formers. All other interior stuff was sprayed with Gunze acrylics, with minor detail being painted with Vallejo acrylics.

fw13.jpg

In the meantime, the forward fuselage area was thinned to accept the bulkheads for the weapon bay. The instrument visor was also removed to eventually be replaced with a more accurate resin part with higher detail.

fw14.jpg

That's all for now folks.....I'll get more work done and post an update when there's something to show :thumbsup:

Jim

Hi all,

I've spent literally days, accumulatively to get to this stage. The cockpit is now almost totally complete and I've added some extra plumbing to the rear fuselage internals...namely for the control linkages I'd missed (but so did Aires!) and for the reserve fuel tank piping. Both loose ends of these pipes for the tank will terminate at the fuel filler cap, now fitted to the fuselage (from the excellent Black Dog resin detail set).

Interior of the cockpit is painted in Gunze RLM66, and detail colours are picked out with a combination of Vallejo, White Ensign and Humbrol paints. Pigments are added to the cockpit interior, but not too much.

I just had to add the set of seatbelts I bought from Radu, and they are great! Many thanks to his work in designing these. They took 3 hours as I have fingers like fag ends (Brit saying!), but I don't think I could use anything else now.

I hope to get everything fit into this fuselage section within the next week or so. Everything dry fits beautifully since I modded loads of parts. I still say this Aires resin set was done for a different tooling of this kit.

Sorry for the bad pic of the panel. It looks great to the eye, but awful on a blown up digital pic. The rest I'm happy with :thumbsup:

Jim

DSC01719.jpg

DSC01710.jpg

DSC01711.jpg

DSC01718.jpg

DSC01717.jpg

About time for an update perhaps? Sorry about the lack recently, so here we go.

I've been doing a LOT of work mainly on the wing, which required so much thinning for the Aires parts to fit that I must have worn it to less than the thickness of a sheet of paper in places. I actually used a pernament marker to highlight the areas where I had gone dangerously thin and the ink bled right through the plastic to the face side! :lol: Not a problem though with a little Devcon epoxy :thumbsup: All paint is either Gunze or Vallejo. ALL surfaces have also been riveted using Radu's Rivet-R tool and the Bentley drawings as reference. I also used the MDC flush rivet tool for some detail.

The wingroot gun blisters are moulded in a closed position and some careful measurement has to be done to mark the open positions, then removal of the remainder of the blister. Here's how it went:

DSC01720.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

The Aires wheel well was dead easy to fit in after being carved and profiled. No thinning of lower wing required, but the upper wings did need a considerable amount of plastic to be scraped out. Colour is Gunze RLM02 with post shading in faded brown and given an oil wash. Electrical wiring is done by brush with Tamiya yellow as its runny enough not to build up between the delicate wiring detail, but solid enough to look good.

DSC01726.jpg

DSC01728.jpg

The resin gun ports were then painted and test fitted to make sure they actually went in. So much test fitting of this was required and constant wing thinning. The wheel well was then added with superglue gel and filleted with epoxy for rigidity.

DSC01729.jpg

DSC01727.jpg

I decided to go the whole hog with this build and I bought the very nice G-Factor brass oleos. I hope these guys expand their range as I want MORE for future models. They come on the casting sprue, so just a few strokes with a jnr. hacksaw removed them. They needed no cleaning up at all. I primed them with Alclad2 primer and sprayed them with Gunze RLM02. Again, I post shaded with a faded brown and oil washed them. After being sprayed in Klear, I added the EagleCal decals and recoated with Klear. I painted the compression strut in Vallejo black then brushed a little Klear onto them. Alclad Chrome was then airbrused onto this section. After masking off the Chrome, I flatted out the rest of the strut and added the brake line to the side of each leg. These will have MDC flexible hoses attached between the legs and wheels.

DSC01724.jpg

The inter-strut was torn apart and had sections replaced with Aires resin. I then added a compression spring from lead wire and the cabling with 0.2mm lead wire and tin metal clips. At this point they are sprayed RLM02, but no wire detail paint is added

DSC01725.jpg

The Eduard PE landing flaps were also installed at this stage.

The tail was the next candidate for my hatchet and for this I removed ALL control surfaces so I could replace them with the Blackdog resin. I also wanted to remove the tail access door and detail the interior. The resin kit is superb but lacked that familiar dimpled plate at the rear, so this was made with thin plasticard, drilled and covered with a thin covering of tin metal foil, pushed into the drilled holes.

DSC01722.jpg

I decided to add the small oxygen tanks to the tail extension section, so drilled out the access port and thinned the plastic at that point. I then got some beads of the correct diameter and strung them along a strip of plastic rod and painted them in the correct blue before adding them in. This shot shows the work prior to the posts etc being cleaned up The just scribed port was also missing from the kit. This was referenced from Bentleys superb drawings. All is now cleaned up and presentable.

DSC01721.jpg

After trials and tribulations; more thinning of the plastic and millions of test fits, the fuselage was married to the wing and the tailplane added, all with superglue gel. Any areas to be filled were done so with Mr Dissolved Putty and rubbed down with some wonderful sanding sticks from modelsforsale.co.uk. The model was primed with Halfords white acrylic primer. This is the first time I departed from using Alclad2 grey primer, and for large areas, I think I'll stick to this stuff. It's wonderful. All pre-shading is done with Tamiya acrylic. This is it so far. I promise I'll keep you updated more regularly :thumbsup:

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01732.jpg

Have fun,

Jim

So as not to be a slacker :lol:

Tamiya flat white has been sprayed on the underside to fade out the pre shading and a whole van load of Tamiya tape was used to mask off thewhite bars. Gunze RLM23 was then sprayed on in very thin coats so it self sealed the tape. Enough paint was sprayed to allow proper coverage, and what you can't see in these pictures is the proper colour of the paint, and also the pre-shading which still shows beautifully. I just seem to be harrassed with bright light and crap photos. Still, I'm pleased so far, and NO paint bleeding. Tomorrow I'll paint the fuselage sides in light blue :thumbsup:

Jim

DSC01733.jpg

DSC01734.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

Ok guys,

Here is my first attempt at mottling and I did it straight on the model with no practise as I'm too impatient for that :thumbsup: It's by no means perfect but this is the one bit of the model I'd been dreading since I bought this kit. I no longer 'feel the fear'! I'm always open to suggestions on how I could have bettered it. I know there are a few 'harder' blasts from the airbrush where I was perhaps a little too thin too start with.

I have used the Galland Circus JV44 set of EagleCal decals for this and Mr Mark Setter to get them to seat. I had no use for the Mark Softer as the decals are very thin as they are.

I just need to get to work on the rudder, elevators and landing flaps now as well as a few odds 'n sods before I look at the engine.

The model is currently in Klear. I need to add another coat yet, as well as weathering and washes before I matte the finish down.

Jim

DSC01736.jpg

DSC01737.jpg

I've done the majority of post shading now, and added a wash. Wash was done with Promodeller black wash instead of the oil I usually use. It seemed to do a good job but I had to add a touch of washing-up liquid to it to break it's surface tension as it was pooling on the model surface.

I still need to do a little panel post shading yet and some staining, but so far so good.

Panel line accents were touched up with Tamiya acrylic thinned 90%.

DSC01740.jpg

DSC01738.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

I've now started on the cowl panels and engine components. The rudder and elevators, landing flaps etc are now painted and ready for installation.

Jim

This no man! This here is a model making machine that must be stopped before he creates models of the whole world and the human race will cease to exist as we know it!!

Not human!!

-Jim

LMAO!

With any luck, the engine work will be posted tomorrow. I've had some trials and tribulations with trying to make it look presentable, and it's been an Alcad fest here for the last day. The magnesium Alclad I originally used was a little too severe, so I used Alclad Dull Aluminium dusted over the Magnesium to get it to look more engine like. I've done some serious shading with heavily thinned Tamiya Black also. The engine bearers were a trial themselves with the supercharger protruding way too far for comfort.

Has anyone here ever used the Aires engine set who could explain the engine mount orientation? I've done this as per plan but it still seams wrong when the bearers are added.

I'll get more done tomorrow and post some pics up :banana:

The engine is about 80% complete. At the moment, it's had a base of Magnesium Alclad, with a misting of Dark Aluminium Alclad, and shading is with heavily thinned Tamiya black XF2. The supercharger was sprayed XF2 and then misted with Dark Aluminium Alclad also, with other work done in White Aluminum Alclad.

I still need to do some work on the ancilliary kit on the engine as well as weather the exhausts and manifolds and then do a final oil wash. Here she is so far:

DSC01742.jpg

DSC01744.jpg

Very nice James. Your Dora is really looking good. The rivet work looks great and the finish is very nice. The after market goodies look fantastic. The only problem I see right now is that you should have waited until September to start because that is when Defense of The Reich II Group Build starts on ARC and you would have had an awesome entry! Great job

The only problem I see right now is that you should have waited until September to start because that is when Defense of The Reich II Group Build starts on ARC and you would have had an awesome entry! Great job

:thumbsup: DARN!!!