Academy 1/48 F-15K SLAM Eagle

If I were to buy the new Academy 1/48 F-14K SLAM Eagle, will I be able to build an accurate and loaded American F-15E? It looks like the Korean version flies with different engines. I would replace those and use some decals I already have.

Thanks for your help.

If you wait a month or so, the American version of that kit will be in the US. It's the same kit with correct engines, a slightly different weapons loadout, and OIF decals.

To be accurate, the SLAM Eagle Engines are correct for that version. The new F-15E kit from Academy will have the correct engine nozzles for P&W engines, but will still have the other detail issues including the engine humps. If you can live with the inaccuriacies, it has a lot of goodies to build a modern Strike Eagle without having to go to aftermarket parts.

Edited by MarkW
If I were to buy the new Academy 1/48 F-14K SLAM Eagle, will I be able to build an accurate and loaded American F-15E? It looks like the Korean version flies with different engines. I would replace those and use some decals I already have.

Thanks for your help.

Since it still has issues with accuracy (the most annoying for me is that upper engine humps have been "altered" but not fixed, and shoddy recessed panel lines are one result of that), you might consider another route. As most of the newer tool stuff in the box is pretty good (though I hear the missile rails come up short--do they not have measuring tape in Korea?--but you may not notice or care), you could start with this kit and just buy the aftermarket set that has decals for an American F-15E and the parts to (mostly) accurize the Academy kit. The set is called F-15E Strike Eagle by Revell. It's only about $12 or so at Michael's when you use the weekly 50% off coupon. How many aftermarket sets are that cheap? Not to sound sarcastic, but if you think about spending $40-$50 (or more?) for the Academy kit as an aftermarket item for the cheap but very good Revell, it's a little depressing. The other way around, not so bad. See?

Mike Todd

Hey guys, may I ask what weaponry the US version of this kit will bring? Do you know it already? Thanks! :rofl:

It's an extra sprue with:

2x GBU-31 (BLU-109)

2x GBU-12

2x AIM-9L/M

2x AIM-120B

1x Sniper pod

And that's on top of the original two detail sprues, so you still get the six GBU-38s, two SLAM-ERs, ect.

(This is the DS OIF boxing)

Edited by sv51macross
It's an extra sprue with:

2x GBU-31 (BLU-109)

2x GBU-12

2x AIM-9L/M

2x AIM-120B

1x Sniper pod

And that's on top of the original two detail sprues, so you still get the six GBU-38s, two SLAM-ERs, ect.

(This is the DS OIF boxing)

Thank you sv51macross! Another one to the wish list! :cheers: