Eduard 1/48 Grumman Hellcat I

This is one of the kits from the Eduard FAA Hellcat combo kit built as a Hellcat I on HMS Indomitable circa August 1944 while operating in the Indian Ocean.It's a lovely kit but that didn't stop me adding some aftermarket in the form of an Ultracast seat with a British harness and Ultracast wheels as the kit plastic ones are a bit on the anemic side besides the Ultracast stuff is too good not to use,the exhausts are from Quickboost. I also reduced the undercarriage legs oleos as the kit sits slightly high on them as moulded. I chose not to use too much of the etched brass except for the pre-painted instrument panel which is superb. The main paint colours are Xtracrylix and I faded and weathered the kit using Promodeller washes to try and get a dirty, used look. The Black and Brown washes respectively were used for dirt and the Light Dirt wash was used to give the effect of salt build up.The exhaust stains were added using Tamiya smoke,the cordite stains from pencil lead.

FAAHellcat1.jpg

FAAHellcat2.jpg

FAAHellcat3.jpg

FAAHellcat4.jpg

FAAHellcat5.jpg

FAAHellcat6.jpg

FAAHellcat7.jpg

FAAHellcat8.jpg

FAAHellcat9.jpg

Stephen

Very freaking nice build. I really like the FAA camo, something a bit different from the Gloss Sea Blue. Really like your weathering.

I've been thinking about picking one of these up, really like what people have been getting out of the kit.

mason