P47D Razor Back - Which is the correct prop???

Guys,

I need some help here. I have two P47D - a Razor Back and a Bubble top - from Academy, 1/72. The first one i want to build the version bellow:

p47drazor.jpg

And the other kit - bubble top - this version here:

p47bubble.jpg

The problem is: WICH IS THE CORRECT PROPELLER FOR THESE KITS? The Curtiss for the razor and the Hamilton to the bubble ones???

I search everywhere and i can't find any single picture from these models...

So please i need a little help here!!!

If you have pic's i'll glad,

Marcelo

according to P-47 Thunderbolt In Detail and Scale by Bert Kinzey

the P-47D-22RE was the first to have the HS prop added at the factory.

D-25's and D-27's also had them

it seems that Curtiss symmetric 'Paddleblade' props were on the D-23RA and the D-26RA

after that it gets very convoluted....

you will need the USAAF serial number to determining the sub-model to determine the prop fitted at

the factory.

then there is the possibility of a field re-fit...

right now you probably need some aspirin for that headache...

http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04/p47d72fcs_1.htm

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/p47/p47galle.html

http://hsfeatures.com/p47dbubtb_1.htm

Referencing some other builds you can find on the net, and my reference here in my room (I brought a Thunderbot book with me).... will keep it simple.

For your razorback T-Bolt, use the skinny prop.

The fatter one for your bubble top.

Cheers

ATIS

I'd go with the drawing you provided, which shows the Curtiss Electric "toothpick" prop on the razorback, and the Curtiss assymetric blade prop on the bubble. Looks right to me. In neither case do you want the Hamilton Standard prop. Hal Sr (Hal the P-47fan)

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr

Dear guys,

thanks for the help. Searchng in the net and som books too i found the type of the Razor back ones: P47D-21RA. So for this one the correct propeller is the Curtiss eletric.

For the other one - the bubbletop - i find him in a book but there is no information about the model. I think it's a P47D 23RA or a 25RA, in others profiles the propellers show is a Curtiss too for him...

My ask now: why Academy's kits provide two kind of propellers if we use only one of then? I this case the Razor back and the bubble top are two differents kits.

Thanks a lot

Marcelo

"Anne Louise" had the skinny prop.There is a photo of it in the old Kookaburra book ,Aces,Pilots & Aircraft of the 9th,12th & 15th UAAF.

Sorry no camera or scanner ,well one that works put it that way.

The other 86 FG P-47D I would guess paddle blade also.

Rick

Hal, why would you not use the Ham Std prop on the bubbletop? Also, I thought the Curtiss asymentric prop was only used on the N model?

Thanks,

John

Hi John, I'm assuming the kit mfgrs had a pic or two to go by. basically, the Ham Std was used on the -25 bird, first series of bubbletops. Just because the airplane came from the factory bearng a certain prop, doesn't mean it stayed that way. As new props came along. they were retro-fitted to planes then in service. Bob Johnson, in his book "Thunderbolt" relates how the performance of his razorback improved when fitted with the first series of paddle blade props, just as the belly fairing and hard points were retro-fitted to jugs in the field. Props also wore out, were dinged, or whatever, and were very frequently replaced with whatever may have been on hand. Hal Sr

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr

Honest and truly, the only way you can determine what prop a given Jug had is to find a photo of it. Yes, there were guidelines for which block had which prop, but in the field anything could go. I've seen a pic of a razorback in the Philippines with P-47N main wheels and the asymmetrical paddle bladed prop! Early on the toothpick Curtiss prop was the only choice, but as time went on, props got swapped out.

J

Guys,

there's three kits on 1/72 from academy to build up the P47D: ref. number: 2105, 2175 and the 2174 with nose art. Well i open the two kits - 2105, 2175 - and i saw that the propellers are the same. Well i decided tha i will use the Curtiss onthe Razor back and the Hamilton's propeller on the bubble top. The third P47 - 2174 - i will use the curtiss one...

So i think it is...

If somebody have some picture of these planes please post here.

Thanks MArcelo

Guys,

there's three kits on 1/72 from academy to build up the P47D: ref. number: 2105, 2175 and the 2174 with nose art. Well i open the two kits - 2105, 2175 - and i saw that the propellers are the same. Well i decided tha i will use the Curtiss onthe Razor back and the Hamilton's propeller on the bubble top. The third P47 - 2174 - i will use the curtiss one...

So i think it is...

If somebody have some picture of these planes please post here.

Thanks MArcelo

The very best you can do is model a particular aircraft at a particular point in its service career. Case in point, the P-47Ms assigned to the 56th FG. There are pictures of several -Ms originally appearing in the field without the fin fillet, and then later photos of the same A/Cs with the fin fillet installed. When based in England, the -Ms had wing ETC racks installed, and they carried extra fuel tanks. Later in the war, when the 56th was forward-deployed in Europe, they didn't need the extra range, and the ETC racks came off. (yes, I know this is considered rank heresy, as 'everybody knows' the the -M was utilized as a pure interceptor, and 'never, ever' had wing racks installed due to the performance penalty, but the photographic evidence is overwhelming and incontestable.)

Similarly, personalized markings changed as time went on, so again, you are just modeling a snapshot in time, no more, no less.

So, get your snapshot, and have a blast! Try this site out: http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/56thfg.php

Byron