F-14B Jolly Roger VF-103

Last I had heard, only 3 tomcats were being saved at AMARG. The two F-14s on display on "Celeberty Row" (a VF-154 F-14A and a VF-31 F-14D), and the VF-32 "MiG Killer" F-14A which is being saved for a museum.

They should be a law against saving only 3 Cat's. Never mind the Iranian-spare-part thiefs ^_^

Last I had heard, only 3 tomcats were being saved at AMARG. The two F-14s on display on "Celeberty Row" (a VF-154 F-14A and a VF-31 F-14D), and the VF-32 "MiG Killer" F-14A which is being saved for a museum.

What about VF-41's SU-22 killer birds? They would not destroy them, would they? Or are they already on display somewhere?

They should be a law against saving only 3 Cat's. Never mind the Iranian-spare-part thiefs <_<

Uh, the cats that are saved are stripped from the precious parts that Iran Craves for or parts that are basic in the Tomcats buildup, the Titanium Wing Box for instance.

It should be against the law to strip ALL tomcats... never mind aviation history right?

Edited by Lock n' Load
Uh, the cats that are saved are stripped from the precious parts that Iran Craves for or parts that are basic in the Tomcats buildup, the Titanium Wing Box for instance.

It should be against the law to strip ALL tomcats... never mind aviation history right?

Are you saying that the Box Beam (wing box) have all be stripped out of the bird?

If you remove the Box Bean, the plane would fall apart, it is the MAIN structural component, without it you would have nothing but a pile of metal.

Also, the birds may have been stripped but there are still parts that Iran needs, airframe part, Daily/Weekly Doors, etc.

Reddog :salute:

I read in a museum report (can't recall which museum, i only remember it had a VF-1 F-14A in display) that the Wingbox was removed and replaced by a makeshift replacement because ''apparently'' the wingbox is a component so vital to the F-14 (as you said, it holds the entire airframe) that it had to be destroyed to avoid replications of such wingbox.

I read in a museum report (can't recall which museum, i only remember it had a VF-1 F-14A in display) that the Wingbox was removed and replaced by a makeshift replacement because ''apparently'' the wingbox is a component so vital to the F-14 (as you said, it holds the entire airframe) that it had to be destroyed to avoid replications of such wingbox.

Not doupting you but I find that report hard to believe. You would have to dis-assembly the entire plane, make a Box Beam strong enough to support the airframe, then put it all back together.

Also, why did that museum do that and none of the others do it?

Reddog :salute:

I am also working on VF-103 final cruise cat and I am looking for any picture of Sparrowhawk HUD. I've been searching internet for last couple of days and I couldn't find anything.

• 3 weeks later...
What about VF-41's SU-22 killer birds? They would not destroy them, would they? Or are they already on display somewhere?

#160403 Fast Eagle102 was on display in Midland,Texas

pic here

#160390 Fast Eagle107 was lost on the 25 Oct 1995 while with VF-213

#159437 AC/202 is in storage at D-M

#159610 AC/201 rebuilt to F-14D® spec on display at NASM

#162603 the VF-1 Gulf war Hip killer was lost on the 23 June 2000 with VF-211