A-7E Low-vis, Either VA-27 or VA-93

Hello everyone!! Starting in with my A-7E by Trumpeter. Will be doing this almost OOB with the additions of AirDoc markings and possibly an aftermarket seat. Haven`t deciced between two schemes, VA-27 Royal Maces or VA-93 Ravens. Still thinking how to load up the weapons, there is a huge variety the Sluff could carry and there is a lot available in 1/32. Seems like the Corsair could and did a variety of missions, great for the modeller that likes a mix. We all know the faults and shape problems with the kit, the only ones i will address are the drop tanks, they will be replaced by the ones from a Hasegawa 1/32 A-4E Skyhawk. The only resin i might add might be the seat, if i were to add a cockpit i would also want to do the Zacto mods to make it as accurate as possible. I`ll be okay with the intake/canopy as is. Anyway, time to start the build.

Don

Tonight i was sorting through the sprues and sorted out what i needed and what were spares. I found i will use 8 sprues in total with 12 sprues going into the spares box. These are all weapons sprues that aren`t needed with the exception of two Harms. The decal sheet will go as spares as well. What is left is the basic model, which looks really good as far as engraved detail goes. I like the fact the "Trumpeter Mad Riveter" stayed away from this one. If anything the lines and rivets may be a little soft and i may have to go over them. I`ll have to rob some up to date Sidewinders from somewhere, shouldn`t be a problem. The load-out will be two drop tanks with 2 Harms, simple yet deadly. Pic below of the spare pile.

IMG_4701a.jpg

Don

Haven`t been able to do much, banged my finger up at work a bit and just today managed to do some work to the build. I`m not a fan of open maintenance panels so i glued the doors and steps closed. The fit wasn`t the greatest on these parts and some sanding/scraping/ cutting was needed. Basic skills took care of these, will need some sanding on the steps for finish. A couple of things i did find regarding Trumpeters accuracy. While closing the doors i found this part, F46 was to be glued to the fuselage. It looked a little odd and on checking references found it is a ground protective cover for the AOA probe( i think ). I guess when they were checking real aircraft they included this as a part of the aircraft. I`ll glue it on then cut it down and sand flush.

IMG_4703a.jpg

IMG_4704a.jpg

The flare/chaff dispensers are also confusing. All references i could find show the A-7E had the dispensers under the tail with the tail hook in between. Trumpeter chooses to include Airforce type ( square hole ) dispensers but nowhere in the instructions does it show where to install them. Their A-7D does show where the dispensers go, but my references don`t show them on the "D" . Old Hasegawa sheets i have show dispensers on the "E" but not on the "D ". I guess i`ll have to look further into it when i do a "D".

Don

I see your kit comes with the TV bomb that has the square fins on the back end...

Did A-7s carry these? I have a Hase weapons sprue with some and want to stick them on something (anything), but don't know what.

Nice progress even if it is minimal. So since that is an AOA cover what would someone need to do to have the AOA showing? Is it a little metal piece that protrudes or is it an angled probe? Would like to know for future reference if and when I build another A-7. Sorry didnt mean to hijack your WIP for my question!

I see your kit comes with the TV bomb that has the square fins on the back end...

Did A-7s carry these? I have a Hase weapons sprue with some and want to stick them on something (anything), but don't know what.

I think you`re referring to the GBU-8 HOBOS bomb. I`m pretty sure it was an Air Force only weapon, i can only remember seeing pics of the F-4 carrying it. I`m sure somebody here will be able to better inform you, or try Googling it.

Nice progress even if it is minimal. So since that is an AOA cover what would someone need to do to have the AOA showing? Is it a little metal piece that protrudes or is it an angled probe? Would like to know for future reference if and when I build another A-7. Sorry didnt mean to hijack your WIP for my question!

IIRC it is the angled style. I`ll have to dig around in the spares box for one. Last night i was doing some more to the build and started on the wheelwells. OOB they are OK, at least Trumpeter tried to add piping/conduit detail. I added some more along with some other small bits to make the wells look busy. There is a small door and space right behind the main well that was molded with no detail and almost flush with the surface. I cut this out and boxed this area in with sheet styrene and added some piping with Evergreen rod stock. Not much really, but all Corsair kits i`ve ever seen have this area with no detail. I just wanted to do this on my build. I guess OOB no longer applies, either.

IMG_4705a.jpg

The left side is the unmodified side, the right side is the one i added to and changed. Thinking if i`ll add more to the right side.

Don

Edited by dmthamade
I think you`re referring to the GBU-8 HOBOS bomb. I`m pretty sure it was an Air Force only weapon, i can only remember seeing pics of the F-4 carrying it. I`m sure somebody here will be able to better inform you, or try Googling it.

IIRC it is the angled style. I`ll have to dig around in the spares box for one. Last night i was doing some more to the build and started on the wheelwells. OOB they are OK, at least Trumpeter tried to add piping/conduit detail. I added some more along with some other small bits to make the wells look busy. There is a small door and space right behind the main well that was molded with no detail and almost flush with the surface. I cut this out and boxed this area in with sheet styrene and added some piping with Evergreen rod stock. Not much really, but all Corsair kits i`ve ever seen have this area with no detail. I just wanted to do this on my build. I guess OOB no longer applies, either.

IMG_4705a.jpg

The left side is the unmodified side, the right side is the one i added to and changed. Thinking if i`ll add more to the right side.

Don

Yeah the kit wheel wells are a bit bare when you compare them to the Aires set. Great job on the detail!

Yeah the kit wheel wells are a bit bare when you compare them to the Aires set. Great job on the detail!

Yeah, seen pics of the Aries wells and they are really nice!! My builds are shelf sitters and never get picked up again once they are in the display case, so i couldn`t justify buying the wells. Doing some scratch to them cost next to nothing and for me, they look OK. I think i`ll try to fill them in a little more.

Don

Finished up with the main gear wells. There is a lot more detail that could be added to these parts but this is as far as i will go. I used references from Prime Portal, ARC walkarounds and Detail and scale. The small bits came from the spares box, the piping and conduit are Evergreen sheet and rod stock. I gave both wells a fast coat of flat white to see how it looked, will weather at the same time i do the rest of the build. Stock well is the top picture, finished wells below that.

IMG_4705b.jpg

IMG_4706a.jpg

I still have the nose gear well to do but i have to finish filling and sanding the intake tube first. The tube itself was full of sink marks that i filled with Squadron Green and i have both sides glued together. Not a lot of room to work in, i`ll do the best i can with it.

Don

When i did the intake tube, i cut out the ends so i could sand and fill the complete length. When done this left me with an oval that i could have simply blanked over, but i decided to see what i could do to make a longer intake duct.

First pic shows how i glued some reinforcing strips on top of the seams of the upper and lower intake halves. I found with sanding and scraping the inner seam that it started to crack and separate. The strips took care of that.

IMG_4708a.jpg

To prep for a longer intake, i took another strip and glued it around the outside of the tube. What this does is provide a positive location to mount the tube to. It also forces the extension tube to follow the contours of the kit parts.

IMG_4711a.jpg

The tube is made of very thin Evergreen sheet styrene. It takes a little time to figure out the right diameter, taping and fitting and patience will get you there.

Pic also shows the length and fit inside a fuselage half. When i glue this i will use super glue, regular glue would melt and distort the very thin sheet i used.

IMG_4721a.jpg

There was no engine face provided in the kit so i dug through my spares and came up with this one from the Tamiya 1/32 F-14. Can`t vouch for the accuracy but that deep into the fuselage looking into a small opening, it will be OK for me.

IMG_4713a.jpg

Not the clearest pic, but it shows a head on view of the kit intake, tube extension and engine face. The tube seam is at the top, you really can`t see it.

IMG_4725a.jpg

Don

Hey guys!! Haven`t done much to show, i have to admit the ejection seat has been driving me nuts. Just looks like a poor example of the seat, and i think the instructions show a late model A-7E seat with an overhead pull handle that should be on a early seat. Been looking at aftermarket seats, but then another factor enters. Looking through my decal stash i came across this sheet from Meteor Productions.

IMG_4729a.jpg

I remember buying this sheet because it`s in the Gull Grey over White scheme, i have one build of a F-4J in the Gull Grey/White scheme and thats it. I`ll need to make up my mind before i order a seat, but i guess i can continue on with other stuff.

Don

Hey guys!! Haven`t done much to show, i have to admit the ejection seat has been driving me nuts. Just looks like a poor example of the seat, and i think the instructions show a late model A-7E seat with an overhead pull handle that should be on a early seat. Been looking at aftermarket seats, but then another factor enters. Looking through my decal stash i came across this sheet from Meteor Productions.

IMG_4729a.jpg

I remember buying this sheet because it`s in the Gull Grey over White scheme, i have one build of a F-4J in the Gull Grey/White scheme and thats it. I`ll need to make up my mind before i order a seat, but i guess i can continue on with other stuff.

Don

For the VA 86 markings you would use the early seat.

Reddog :whistle:

Having some trouble with this build. See here for problems http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=198525

Don`t know what to do.

Don

gluing my 2 wing haves together this evening - hopefully in a position to do some sanding later as well.

So i'll post back here tomorrow with how it goes with my Trumpy A-7E. I'm going to use Revell liquid glue.........

[this same post appears on the "how to" section of your question;] Link to your "how to" question

following your original post I glued my 'outer' wing halves together last night. I used Revell liquid glue and had no problem (although unlike the inner wing halves the fit wasn't as easy & fought me all the way). Being aware of your problem I used spring loaded clamps to hold them for an hour.

Now although I say it was "no problem", the bond is certainly strong enough for me to sand & paint, I was able to 'pry apart' one of the outer sections (thankfully without doing any damage). Where the glue had taken hold there was a 'little' melting, but I certainly would have expected a stronger join.

I have since re-glued that wing section back together.

I did have real difficultly in joining the 2 fuselage halves together and had to used superglue ('Zap-a-gap') on key areas as the Revell liquid glue didn't hold. I had just assumed that this was my bad modelling skills, but having given some thought to this following your original post, maybe there is something in the plastic? (i have done a Trumpeter 1/48 Wyvrn & Panther - no issue and a 1/32 A-10, again no problems.

I will definitely try & get some of my A-7 pictures onto the GB web page this weekend!

Edited by FIGHTS ON