wierd question to ask

I'm building my first big rig model. About time since my dad and step dad are truck drivers. I'm wondering what is the best method to simulate the grease on fifth wheels. I was thinking about getting some actual grease from my dad's truck

and smearing a little on the fifth wheel, but I thought against it as I thought it would be a little too messy. All and any

suggestions are very much appreciated.

RYAN.

BTW: it's a Revell Peterbuilt 359 conventional.

Edited by caudleryan

Real grease won't work. It might actually disolve your model.

I found a pic for those who aren't sure what he's talking about.

5thWheelGrease375x265.jpg

Would colouring some white glue with black paint (acrylic) work? Then smear it on and give it a glss coat. You don't need a lot.

Actually, judging by that picture, it should also have a slight bluish-purplish tinge too.

I might have come up with an idea. I might spread a little Mr. Surfacer 500 on it and then stipple it a little. Kind of like

applying the rough texture to Navy style bombs, just not as rough. Thanks for the suggestion, Max. I might have to try that when the time comes.

In the crafts section of Wal-Mart (or your local equivalent) there are acrylic paints in little 2 oz. squeeze bottles, for about a buck each. Some common brands are Delta Ceramcoat and Folk Art. For moly grease, get black, white, blue and brown. The stuff is a thick and gloppy grease-like consistency straight out of the bottle. Mix-up something to match the color of the grease, then smear it on the fifth wheel with a toothpick, spatula or wide flat brush. It will set up (still thick and gloppy) with a perfect grease-like sheen. Looks disgusting.

Phil

I don't do truck models...yet. A good thought to put in my mind though.

The topic brought up a funny story. :cheers: Background: my dad has driven semi for a VERY long time. Many years ago, when us 3 kids were still living at home we had a kid that we knew from down the street come to our door. Some of the kids of our street were playing a war game. It was dark outside so they thought it would be a good idea to use the grease off of my dad's truck's 5th wheel! ;) Several of them came to our door asking if we knew anyway of taking the grease off of their face. :lol: We knew that it would not come off or was hard to get off. :cheers: I wonder how long it took them to get the grease off their faces!

It's extremely hard to get off. I made the mistake of putting my hand on the fifth wheel and I must have spent at least

two and a half hours with paint thinner and other solvents. It didn't come off competly, though.

RYAN.