Fox One Decals website closing sale

I loved Fox One Decals and hate to see you go. The main reason I liked Fox One decals was the multiple squadrons per sheet. I refuse to buy decals that have just one squadron as I will never build the same squadron over and over. Ben you produced a great product and you should be proud of what you accomplished.

If it is not too indiscrete and/or intrusive, what is wrong with decal economics? Independently of quality, the failure rate is just so high. Is it that one just cannot sell enough decal sheets of a given model to justify a 500 unit print run? (I have seen that Microscale is offering 150 unit runs now by the way).

The big unknown is "what will sell well and in what numbers?"

If you do 2 runs at 250 sheets each and sell them all, you've made less profit than if you printed 500 to start with. However what if you print 500 and only sell 249?

I've noticed too that it seems that the more people say "print it, it'll go like gangbusters, I'll buy 3, etc." the less the sheet will sell. Ex. one large decal company printed the same sheet in 1/48 and 1/72 because people said it would be a great seller in 1/72, "no brainer, etc." In about 6 months they sold all but 40 or so of the 1/48 sheet, in contrast the 1/72 sheet had only sold 40 or so, and this was out of a 500 sheet run.

Ken

"what will sell and in what numbers"

The question is the very same in fashion apparel. And a very efficient business model in that industry is: produce little, test the market, and launch real production runs for the detected fast sellers.

Hence my question on cost of reprints: print as few decal sheets as possible, test the market and reprint the popular ones. But it not the typical decal business model, which prints too much , gets stuck with inventory for years and fails to reprint the fast sellers.

I'd love to see the cash flow simulation made if a typical 500 sheet decal business had been a 250 sheet business with reprint if popular. You lose something like half a dollar in print unit cost, but you probably more than double or triple your inventory turnover.

Voltaire, (inept armchair business) modeller

Take a look at this sales graph and think about the print 250 and see idea. This is typical behavior for every set that is released.

salesgraph.gif

Here's what would happen.... you would sell out of the first print run in just a few months. Then rush to reprint it just in time for demand to flatline.

Edited by Fox One Decals