Academy F-15I

Would it be feasable for the F-15I to carry all JDAM's? The GBU38's on the CFT stations and the GBU 31's on the wing pylons with a centerline fuel tank and AMRAM 120C's and Python 4's on the missle rails?

Little Jeff

The centerline tank has never been carried by the Strike Eagle as it would affect the targeting pod's line of sight due to its large size. If you want a feasible and wicked load, I'd go with 2 wing tanks, air-to-air missiles, and 5 GBU-31 JDAMs on the inboard CFT racks and centerline pylon. Should be cool.

Just my 2 cents worth..

Anyone know if/where the antenna on the upper nose, fwd of windscreen is located (sprue)? It appears in the build pictures on the box, but I cannot find any reference to it in the instructions nor can I find it on the sprues.

cheers,

Mike

The centerline tank has never been carried by the Strike Eagle as it would affect the targeting pod's line of sight due to its large size. If you want a feasible and wicked load, I'd go with 2 wing tanks, air-to-air missiles, and 5 GBU-31 JDAMs on the inboard CFT racks and centerline pylon. Should be cool.

Just my 2 cents worth..

Wrong. The centerline tank was carried for a few years, right up to Desert Storm in fact. The reason why it is no longer carried has nothing to do with the line-of-sight for the targeting pods...it has to do with oscillations caused by the flow of air around the LANTIRN pods on the centerline tank and the possiblilty of it developing cracks and weaknesses around the centerline pylon.

Would it be feasable for the F-15I to carry all JDAM's? The GBU38's on the CFT stations and the GBU 31's on the wing pylons with a centerline fuel tank and AMRAM 120C's and Python 4's on the missle rails?

Little Jeff

Possible (without the C/L tank because of the reasons stated above), yes. Feasable, no. With no external tanks, the range of the aircraft would be extremely limited. With a full laod of GBU-38's (12 on all CFT pylons) and 2-3 GBU-31's (two on the wing stations and one on the centerline) you are carrying between 10-12,000 pounds, which is the largest combat load I've ever seen carried (5 GBU-31's) and you'd be burning through fuel like no one's business.

Even if the Israelis were repelling an attack and targets were very close (which in Israel, they would be) and had refueling assets available, it would not be feasable to have that kind of weapons load on internal fuel. You'd be more likely to go with what Quin suggested, or just doing the 12 GBU-38's with two wing tanks.

A note on that as well...the Modern Eagle Guide by Jake Melampy says that all stations on the F-15E are now wired for JDAM...but I'm not sure about the F-15I, and the most I've ever seen any Strike varient flying with at one time is three. There's a few pics of an F-15K with a full JDAM load, both GBU-31's and -38's, but that is an "airshow load" and is not set up in a way where they could fly with it and drop the weapons due to clearance issues.

Anyone know if/where the antenna on the upper nose, fwd of windscreen is located (sprue)? It appears in the build pictures on the box, but I cannot find any reference to it in the instructions nor can I find it on the sprues.

Mine is on its way...when I get it I'll look for it and try to let you know. I'm going the same route as you and using the parts to graft on a Revell Echo.

Aaron

Just picked up the Academy F-15i also with the intention of grafting the stores (and other bits) onto a Revell F-15E.

My thoughts so far:

Instructions a little vague. The two fin top pods are indeed parts N32 but not mentioned anywhere. They are not included in the black “parts not required†box. Incidentally, the Academy tails are more accurate than the Revell ones, which are too tall (by at least 13cm once scaled to full size) from the top of the rudder to the top of the fin (leaving aside the fin top pod). The detail on the Academy fins are also better so given that they are both correct at the base of the fin and Academy’s fit the Revell fuselage nicely, it’s a no brainer!

The Academy upper fuselage has the slightly modified engine nacelles but is still much less accurate than Revell's. The upper nose antenna is part N35 but again it isn’t mentioned anywhere in the instructions. On the actual aircraft, the aerial is not flush but mounted on a small plate. The Academy CFT pylons reflect the newer less angled covers but these probably wouldn’t be appropriate for an F-15i. The LANTIRN pods are more detailed than Revells but the latter are still pretty good.

The Revell undercarriage features separate torque links which are easier to replace with finer etched ones but the Academy wheels, whilst of a more correct diameter, have the brake details integral with the legs. Royale Resin does some great wheels for the Revell legs. The nose anti-shimmy lug is included with the Academy J sprue however.

The academy exhaust nozzles are rather chunky so Aires 4125 gets my vote.

The flare dispensers are separate and it would be a simple job to saw off the rear of the Revell fuselage tips and substitute them.

Academy’s cockpit features an up to date rear panel but the difference is tiny. Aires do a new cockpit for the F-15i but again it is a simple correction to make if you have their old F-15E cockpit.

The weapons – as has been stated, you get the K sprues from the F-15K that includes 6 x GBU-38 and 2 x GBU 31 both with the option of radar prox fuses. The Python IV compares favourably with the Paragon set although lacking the glazed nose. All the IAF weapons have finer engraved detailing than the Kinetic sets though the fixed fwd fins on the AGM-142 do resemble a breadboard! The rest are admirably thin and aerodynamic.

The LAU128/ADU-552 combo are also on the K sprue whereas the LAU 7/ADU 552 are on the new N sprue.

So, in summary Revell/Wolfpack/Kinetic or Revell/Academy? Well the only things that are in the Wolfpack set that you don’t have with the Academy kit are the GPS aerial and rear EW fairing, both of which are easily addressed. The latter still requires the exhaust from Aires (if you don’t use the Academy ones) but equally, the Cartograph decals provide everything needed and the Sky or Isradecals would be required otherwise.

Frankly, with what’s left in the Academy box, you could make an F-15i and still have quite a lot left towards an F-15K or E with a second Revell kit. Did I not mention the GBU 39/BRU 61, the SLAM ER, the AGM-130, or the AIM 120B/C the AIM 9X… the list goes on! All are molded to as high a standard as any aftermarket set including SOL, Flightpath or Paragon.

Edited by tarlucan