Revell 1/32 Hughes 500/OH-6

Hi guys

Just forward planning for a future project in my mind, whilst I work on my BK-117.

Does anyone know what this kit is like? The reason I ask is that I have several Dragon 500's in various forms for future projects. However I was suprised at the size difference between the Dragon 1/35 UH-1D and the old 1/32 Revell one that I am planning for my next build. So I was thinking maybe the Revell one might be worth a look.

I have never seen a Revell H500 and was wondering if anyone knows how accurate its basic shape is. I know it will be a simple typical Revell kit, that does not worry me as I will be scratchbuilding a load of details. But I would like to know how the bones of the model stack up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, or if you have a spare unbuilt one in your stash you would be willing to swap/sell.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Hi Anthony,

Have you seen any of the 500's in your neck of the (NZ) woods that are/were flying with pontoons? You guys always seem to have the colorful ones down there. I'd like to do one of the Tail Boom's conversions.

Tim

p.s. Any news on my HNZ Astar photos yet?

Hey Tim

Yes mate, there were some orange NZ reg Greepeace ones fitted with the pontoons, I think I may have some pics somewhere.

Havent heard back yet from HNZ, will give them a call next week for you to see what is happening

Cheers mate

Anthony

Hi Anthony. First off, Happy Christmas and thanks for all the posts on your inspiational BK117 throughout the year.

Here is a brief description of the 1/32 Revell OH-6A from what I can remember off the top of my head.

Rotors; The main rotor blades appear to be a little thin. The main rotor head is fairly simple and represents the early head with the blade root fairings fitted. There is an upper swash plate included but is slightly overscale. The tail rotor is over-simplified and has no pitch change mechanism detail. The Dragon kit wins out in the TR departmrnt.

Landing Gear; The skid legs appear to be of the correct length for a 500 on low skids. The skid tubing diameter appears to be too small and would probably best be replaced.

Interior; The Revell kit was most recently released as a 500C. It has two interiors, one civilian and one for the OH-6A. The civilian interior has civilian-style bench seats front and back. The instrument panel is the correct shape for a 500C. You also get another for the OH-6A. The cyclics and collectives are over-simplified and will need to be replaced. The tail rotor pedals might be OK.

Glazing; Not the clearest clear parts, but probably useable.

Fuselage halves; Overall, the shape appears to be quite accurate. All four doors are attached to the fuselage halves. The rear doors are the old-style OH-6A doors with the small windows. The panel lines are raised and the rivet detail is a little over-scale.

Overall, the kit is very basic by today's standards but I'm pretty sure it would be amazing when you'd be finished with it. I haven't built one so can't comment on the fit. Hobbycraft Canada also released this kit a few years ago. I think Kit Tech also copied this kit. I don't have the kit in front of me but I can check any other details next week if required.

Anthony, I hope you do a Hughes 500 at some point in the future. Maybe one of Sir Tim Wallace's Hughes 500Cs kitted out as a Venison Bird in the old blue-and-white Alpine Helicopters scheme?

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver

LD you are a legend!

That was just the sort of info I was after, thank you very much! You can read my mind, I was looking at probably doing a Venison recovery machine with all the net guns etc from Alpine.

Thanks again for all of your help I really appreciate it................just gotta find me one now

All the best for the new year my friend and thanks for the comments, it was actually your 500 that got be thinking of them believe it or not.

Cheers and happy holidays

Anthony

Would this be one of the 500Cs you might build?

The fun starts at 1:25. This is some skillful flying, but probably just a normal day at the office for the Deer Capture aces!

Live capture with a Hughes 500D.

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver

Holy cow!! Eat your heart out Bear Grylls. That takes some serious guts (or lack of mental faculties) to jump out of a helo onto a unsedated stag. I've had a little experience with horned livestock and I wouldn't do that in a million years! Very cool video, LD! Makes me want to go to New Zealand.

Ray

Thats some great flying and those blokes had big b@lls!

Sadly as you can imagine we lost some good blokes doing that job. Looks like a segment out of a DVD I have here on Deer recovery. There is a private helicopter museum not far from me and the guy has a chopper set up with a net gun mounted on the right skid as was also commonly done. They were modified shotguns and often one of the test for wouldbe shooters was to balance on a 44gal drum and pull the trigger........9 times out of 10 blowing them backwards off the drum.......he he I would love to have seen that! I think it was done more for entertainment purposes to the newbies!!

Ray............yes mate you have to come here, we are the land of rotors.

Thanks again

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • 3 years later...

This was the only thread I could find with NZ deer recovery mentioned so it seemed like the best place for this video. More NZ Hughes 500 mayhem.

http://www.ecasttv.co.nz/program_detail.php?program_id=2216&channel_id=60&group_id=

ZK-HMB is one helicopter that I will definitely be building at some point in the future. I have another video on DVD where it is fitted with a skid-mounted net. With a skid-mounted gun and two shooters seated on the right, front and rear, it was probably one of the ultimate live capture helicopters to fly in New Zealand. If I ever build the 1/35th Dragon kit, this will be the helicopter I will build.

LD.